Beautiful Betta With The Most Awful Fin Rot

Just want to look at flukes for a minute.
Signs of flukes which can cause sores are.
Pale gills with excess slime or red inflamed gills.
Laboured breathing or gasping at surface of tank.
Flicking and rubbing.
darting around, tank, erratic swimming.
Swimming in a jerky movement.
Opaque body with excess slime.
Weightless sometimes.
Sores on the body of the fish.
Spitting food out.

I have removed the ABs didn't want to make him worse :(

This is what the sores look like. This is the worse one - but it might just be an opportune infection and not toe root cause.

P210209_093701.jpg

P210209_093802-1.jpg

Looking at the flukes symptoms - some of them seem to apply but there is no slime. His gills are not pale but they are naturally very red so would be impossible to tell if they were inflamed. They are not swollen and are moving freely. He's not swimming much at all, only to the surface for air then almost falling rather than swimming back down. No weightlesness. He ate some daphnia last night but has not eaten this morning. ????

You have to give meds time to work and it can knock fish aswell.
Its up to you but without the med he's not going to make it.
By the sound of it he's in a bad way and he going downhill fast.
I think I would add the med to give him a chance and then you done everything possible for him.

You have to give meds time to work and it can knock fish aswell.
Its up to you but without the med he's not going to make it.
By the sound of it he's in a bad way and he going downhill fast.
I think I would add the med to give him a chance and then you done everything possible for him.

I tend to agree tbh. But I don't think he'll make it anyway. :(

It's always worth a try fish can surprise you sometimes. Got nothing to lose now.
Bless Him.

Antibiotics don't work instantly. You will need to allow time for the antibiotics to kill the bacteria. The larger the bacterial colony, the longer it is likely to take.

I have to agree with Wilder, although you can only get antibiotics for animals from the vets in this country, other countries such as america use antibitics bought over the counter.

Amoxicillin is a broad spectrum antibiotic used to treat some gram positive and Gram Negative organisms in humans its common uses include dental abscess, UTI, chronic bronchitis, ear infections (which are commonly pseudomonas)

Pseudomonas and aeromonas are common causes of bacterial infection in fish. If you have started treatment, it would be wise to see the treatment through. You say the fish is going downhill, you have nothing to lose by attempting to treat with the antibiotics you have (I will say you should have finished your course, not finishing antibiotics has contributed to resistant organisms emergance such as MRSA), if you do nothing, the fish will likely die. You have a chance to try to save him.

Antibiotics don't work instantly. You will need to allow time for the antibiotics to kill the bacteria. The larger the bacterial colony, the longer it is likely to take.

I have to agree with Wilder, although you can only get antibiotics for animals from the vets in this country, other countries such as america use antibitics bought over the counter.

Amoxicillin is a broad spectrum antibiotic used to treat some gram positive and Gram Negative organisms in humans its common uses include dental abscess, UTI, chronic bronchitis, ear infections (which are commonly pseudomonas)

Pseudomonas and aeromonas are common causes of bacterial infection in fish. If you have started treatment, it would be wise to see the treatment through. You say the fish is going downhill, you have nothing to lose by attempting to treat with the antibiotics you have (I will say you should have finished your course, not finishing antibiotics has contributed to resistant organisms emergance such as MRSA), if you do nothing, the fish will likely die. You have a chance to try to save him.
Agreed - so the ABs have been topped up. Finger's crossed. Thanks

Thanks - I know we did what we could - but it's still heartbreaking to see them go.

Bt we will have nonther in due course. Going to focus on getting the big tank cycled and stocked first.

So sorry to hear about Tyson :sad: .....at least you gave it your best and tried to make him better.

:rip: Tyson

So sad bless him.
R.I.P.

Most reactions

Back