beat up dempsey

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

semper fi

mrs southeast michigan 2005
Reaction score
took my daughter over to her friends house to play after school. was the first time that i was over there. in the living room they had a tank with a dovii in it. went to look in at the dovii and in the corner of the tank at the top was this dempsey. it was so beat up that it was laying on it's side curled up in a ball almost. asked the mom about it and she said it was her son's fish. then watched the dovii pummel the dempsey. gave the mom the "cruelty to fish" lecture. think i shamed her into letting me take it home. was a nice size dempsey.

brought the poor thing home and put it in a tank. did not have any meds so i put salt in the tank. for the last week this dempsey has been on it's side. did not have much hope for it. gave it tetracycline, salt and liquid fry food. kept the tank in our bedroom. this morning my husband told me that someone wanted to say good morning. thought he meant the kids. but there in the front of the tank was the dempsey straight up! still healing but is doing fine now!

also, just had a visitor. a very sheepish looking 16 year old. said he was sorry that he was just doing what his friends do. told him that if he was interested in learning the proper way to keep fish to come by. after spending an hour with him the kid is all excited about fish.

so, today is turning out to be a pretty good day! :fun:

maggie

hah that is some good news... and teaching a kid about somethign is kewl too - gotta learn somehow if ur interested =)

tazz

ah maggie, you'll be making a name for yourself as the fish saver good on you :wub:

Nice one Magg'z

...I'm sure the fish appreciates it! :D :fun:

this kid is great. brought a tear to my eye cause his mom called to thank me for taking an interest in her son. his parents are divorced and dad recently got remarried and a new family. mom says that his behavior is starting to change. is nicer to the rest of the family now. he is over here every day. loves to do water changes! caught him downstairs talking to the fish. seems they are good listeners.

the fish is doing great also. very happy camper. am going to give it a few weeks and then add it to my community of fish and see how it goes.

yes master, you have taught grasshoppah well. he is all excited about coming over to see your fishroom. told him if he was good and brought up his grades, maybe....

maggie

Most reactions

Back