BBA?

Ok. My lfs has nerite most of the time and Amano shrimp sometimes. I have tetras but an angel in the tank. Which would be best a nerite or Amano? I have mystery snails in that tank also
Nerites, angels will eat amanos.
Having said that dont expect them to eat it all. The best defense against algae is balancing nutrients with light. Too much light not enough of the correct nutrients equals algae too little light too much nutrients equals algae.
Try to figure out the imbalance and tweaking that.
Bba is usually from excess phosphates most algae problems according to tom barr are due to problems with CO2 or excess and or ammonia. I think weve already established your diy co2 wasnt doing you many favors;)

Nerites, angels will eat amanos.
Having said that dont expect them to eat it all. The best defense against algae is balancing nutrients with light. Too much light not enough of the correct nutrients equals algae too little light too much nutrients equals algae.
Try to figure out the imbalance and tweaking that.
Bba is usually from excess phosphates most algae problems according to tom barr are due to problems with CO2 or excess and or ammonia. I think weve already established your diy co2 wasnt doing you many favors;)
Yea. The only problem is I won’t be able to fill the co2 tank right away, at least I don’t think the places are open, so I will still have to have diy for however long this quarantine takes. When I get the pressurized set up do you think it will help with the balance?

Yea. The only problem is I won’t be able to fill the co2 tank right away, at least I don’t think the places are open, so I will still have to have diy for however long this quarantine takes. When I get the pressurized set up do you think it will help with the balance?
Best part about having a pressurized co2 over DIY is its consistent flow but CO2 can be tricky and cause all sorts of problems depending on water PH and turbulence ive always found CO2 to be too much of a mess and worry honestly. If one doesnt have red plants and really strong light CO2 is just a waste of money. With added CO2 comes added growth which means the need for more nutrients beyond what the fish provide. Mainly nitrogen. Without the added nitrogen algae takes advantage. Best defense against algae is healthy growing plants, adding CO2 just increases the need for more nutrients and leads to more upkeep as well. Having said that if one can get the balance of your co2 with other nutrients and light for the plants then plants should thrive starving out the algae.

Best part about having a pressurized co2 over DIY is its consistent flow but CO2 can be tricky and cause all sorts of problems depending on water PH and turbulence ive always found CO2 to be too much of a mess and worry honestly. If one doesnt have red plants and really strong light CO2 is just a waste of money. With added CO2 comes added growth which means the need for more nutrients beyond what the fish provide. Mainly nitrogen. Without the added nitrogen algae takes advantage. Best defense against algae is healthy growing plants, adding CO2 just increases the need for more nutrients and leads to more upkeep as well. Having said that if one can get the balance of your co2 with other nutrients and light for the plants then plants should thrive starving out the algae.
Ok great. This is my first pressurized system so I’m looking forward to experimenting with the plants and nutrients.

Ok great. This is my first pressurized system so I’m looking forward to experimenting with the plants and nutrients.
make sure you get a timer for it if it doesnt come with one. Also might also want to invest in an air pump. At night when the CO2 goes off the plants will take in oxygen which can cause the fish to aspirate.
If you wake up in the morning and fish are at top gasping for air or at bottom rapidly breathing then the tank isnt getting enough oxygen at night as the plants are taking it in.

make sure you get a timer for it if it doesnt come with one. Also might also want to invest in an air pump. At night when the CO2 goes off the plants will take in oxygen which can cause the fish to aspirate.
If you wake up in the morning and fish are at top gasping for air or at bottom rapidly breathing then the tank isnt getting enough oxygen at night as the plants are taking it in.
Ok thanks. I will look into this

Most reactions

Back