Barley Straw

George&Ade

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ive been using barley straw for about 6 weeks now,and with all this hot sunny weather,i must say im impressed with the way its kept most of the blanket weed away.
Ive read on the internet though that it should be placed in a position where the water flows through it.
Ive got my bale(in a mesh bag)sitting on the bottom of the pond.
In my previous post "Green Genie Filter" i said im getting one of those (arriving this Friday),would it be ok to position it right down the bottom of this filter,under the 4 layers of foam,in amongst the little black weird shape balls?
Im sure water would flow through it,then down the waterfall and back into the pond?

might be a bit crowded in there lol ,theres loads of the bio rings in there (not sure if there balls mine are tubes of corrigated stuff)

tie the bag under the filter outlet ,as far as i know most people just float the stuff in the pond ,but as ive nver had a blanket weed problem in the big pond i couldnt say

I placed my pads in before the mechanical and bio filtration. Anywhere will be fine as long as it doesn't interfere with the impeller of your pump....preferably before your mechanical filtration. This stuff really breaks down and gets messy (which is a good thing). :thumbs:

I see....ok...many thanks.

This new filter box has a spray bar at the top which sprays the water onto the 4 sponges.......is this the "mechanical part??

Would the bio-balls at the bottom be the "biological" part??

I think this is right,but not sure :whistle:

George&Ade said:
I see....ok...many thanks.

This new filter box has a spray bar at the top which sprays the water onto the 4 sponges.......is this the "mechanical part??

Would the bio-balls at the bottom be the "biological" part??

I think this is right,but not sure :whistle:
[snapback]846581[/snapback]​

Well I'm not familiar with this filter (I dont have a pond right now), but as most filters go you are right. The sponges are usually the mechanical filters and after the water goes through the sponges it then goes through various types of media for biological filtration, bioballs being common for this as well. :thumbs:

our straw was at the bottom and it worked fine but the outlet flow of the filter flowed over the straw so still had some circulated water passing over/through it!

We are now floating a bail behind the plates to see how that works out

Most reactions

Back