Barbels on danios

MorganJamesSimpson

Reaction score
My danios have developed catfish like whiskers in around two hours and there colors are fading what is happening I wasn't able to get photos cause they wouldn't stay still

Fading colour usually means stressed... which could be caused by so many things. Really need to see what you're describing, and don't have nearly enough info to be able to say what's happening. What you think are barbels could be a fungus (especially since it's happened fast), a bacterial infection, viral, anything.

Please take a video, showing the whole tank, and the fish, 1-3 minutes is enough. Video can't be directly uploaded to here, but if you upload to YT and link it here, it'll work and people can see, and you don't have the worry of trying to get photos.

Once you have the video, I'll copy/paste a template of tank and stocking QT's that if you can fill out as much of the detail as you can, the better the chances we can pin down what's going on and how to fix it. :)

Some of my old zebra danios had some whiskers in my tank from many years back. Kinda looked like shifus moustache. Mainly noticed them when the lights were off.

IMG_0492.jpeg

IMG_0493.jpeg

Danios are within the barb group, and guess where "barb" comes from?

As for fading, that depends on the aquarium set up and numbers in their group, but mainly on the set up. If they are stressed, they fade.

That's is what they look like but they all got them at the same time which is what is worrying me

If you bought them as a batch, they were juveniles of the same sort of size and age. Often exactly the same, from the same spawning. So they would develop at pretty much the same rate! Like a litter of pups, or any other batch of baby creatures. :)

I would like to add that their color has come back to normal I think it was just a trick of the light but they still have whiskers that seem to be growing and if it is a bacterial infection what can I do and should I move my shrimp to a empty quarantine tank

If you bought them as a batch, they were juveniles of the same sort of size and age. Often exactly the same, from the same spawning. So they would develop at pretty much the same rate! Like a litter of pups, or any other batch of baby creatures. :)
No they were bought at two separate times the first was in September and the second was in January

The fact they're washing out and becoming pale is another matter still, even if you're just seeing typical barbel development. Stress is a very bad thing, and finding the cause so it can be fixed is urgent, stressed fish, if not already sick, can become sick far more easily. But we need a lot more info from you to be of any useful help! Remember we can't see or test your tank, water and fish ourselves, relying totally on the info you provide, so the more detailed you can be please, the better the chances of us figuring out what's going on, and how to help.

If you copy/paste the template below and fill out as much as you can please. You've said you can't do photos, but again, video can be really helpful and tell us a lot, can be uploaded to YT and linked here for us to see!

What Others Need to Know to Help You

When posting a request for help can you please include the following info

1. Water parameters. (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, PH, temp', Hardness etc)
2. A full description of the fishes symptoms.
3. How often you do water changes and how much.
4. Any chemicals and treatments you add to the water.
5. What tank mates are in the tank.
6. Tank size.
7. Finally Have you recently added any new fish?

You may cut and paste the template below and submit in your post:

Request Help

Tank size:
tank age:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp:

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Volume and Frequency of water changes:

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

Tank inhabitants:

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):

Exposure to chemicals:

Digital photo (include if possible):

After all that about them being pale though, is it happening just when you first turn on the tank light? Because fish do wash out colour wise and go pale at night when the lights are off, and if still sleeping when you turn the lights on can take a bit to wake up and colour up again. So can be perfectly normal, night time mode!

After all that about them being pale though, is it happening just when you first turn on the tank light? Because fish do wash out colour wise and go pale at night when the lights are off, and if still sleeping when you turn the lights on can take a bit to wake up and colour up again. So can be perfectly normal, night time mode!
It was when I turned the lights on that I noticed there color was fading now they are back to there regular color but they still have barbels I think I was just worried and noticed regular things and thought they were symptoms

It was when I turned the lights on that I noticed there color was fading now they are back to there regular color but they still have barbels I think I was just worried and noticed regular things and thought they were symptoms

TURNING LIGHTS ON AND OFF
Stress from tank lights coming on when the room is dark can be an issue. Fish don't have eyelids and don't tolerate going from complete dark to bright light (or vice versa) instantly.

In the morning open the curtains or turn the room light on at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the tank light on. This will reduce the stress on the fish and they won't go from a dark tank to a bright tank instantly.

At night turn the room light on and then turn the tank light off. Wait at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the room light out. This allows the fish to settle down for the night instead of going from a brightly lit tank to complete darkness instantly.

Try to have the lights on at the same time each day. Use a timer if possible.

If the light unit is programmable, have it on a low setting for the first 30-60 minutes and increase the brightness over time. Do the opposite in the evening and gradually reduce the light for the last 30-60 minutes before lights out.

If you don't have live plants in the tank, you only need the light on for a few hours in the evening. You might turn them on at 4 or 5pm and off at 9pm.

If you do have live plants in the tank, you can have the lights on for 8-16 hours a day but the fish and plants need 8 hours of darkness to rest. Most people with live plants in their aquarium will have the lights on for 8-12 hours a day.

Tank size: 10g
tank age:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp: 22 Celsius

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): fish are devolping barbel like growths 2 small ones on the top lip and two big ones on the bottom lip
They were spending more time on the bottom and there color was faded but I think that was because it was right after I turned the lights on

Volume and Frequency of water changes:
I change around and a gallon a week

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:
Python dechlorinator and Python bio tropical liquid fertilizer
Tank inhabitants:
2 pearl danios 1 zebra don't worry i have ordered more but they can't ship to my area because of weather problems
Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):
I added Java moss and two zebra danios a couple months ago
Exposure to chemicals:
None that I know of

Digital photo (include if possible): this is the clearest photo I got

Attachments

• PXL_20240819_120714946.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240819_120714946.MP.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 9
TURNING LIGHTS ON AND OFF
Stress from tank lights coming on when the room is dark can be an issue. Fish don't have eyelids and don't tolerate going from complete dark to bright light (or vice versa) instantly.

In the morning open the curtains or turn the room light on at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the tank light on. This will reduce the stress on the fish and they won't go from a dark tank to a bright tank instantly.

At night turn the room light on and then turn the tank light off. Wait at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the room light out. This allows the fish to settle down for the night instead of going from a brightly lit tank to complete darkness instantly.

Try to have the lights on at the same time each day. Use a timer if possible.

If the light unit is programmable, have it on a low setting for the first 30-60 minutes and increase the brightness over time. Do the opposite in the evening and gradually reduce the light for the last 30-60 minutes before lights out.

If you don't have live plants in the tank, you only need the light on for a few hours in the evening. You might turn them on at 4 or 5pm and off at 9pm.

If you do have live plants in the tank, you can have the lights on for 8-16 hours a day but the fish and plants need 8 hours of darkness to rest. Most people with live plants in their aquarium will have the lights on for 8-12 hours a day.
They aren't programmable but what if I slowly dimmed and undimmed this lights in the room

Is this your first aquarium? Did you first set it up and cycle it in Dec/Jan then?

Did you have more fish you've lost, or were these the fish you started off with?

Most reactions

Back