Barb Id

KrystaK

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I went to my lfs last night and saw these lovely fish in one of the tanks, they were a rosy color and had a metallic edge to them, and they had very long tail fins. They didn't have a tag or anything, so I've been looking around the inter web and I found a picture that looks similar. I've identified the fish as a barb, I think :p

rosy-barb-large.jpg

I was interested in purchasing some, but as I didn't know what they were I didn't buy them.
If someone can give me some information about said Barb, like tank size, temperament and dietary needs I would be grateful :) (Assuming it is in fact some sort of Barb)

Rosy Barb :)
They can grow up to 4in, prefer 65F-78F. 20 gal or more is best. Best kept in groups of 5 or more (or they may nip other fish) but are generally peaceful.

They are omnivores and will eat flake, live and freeze dried food.
more info: http://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-RosyBarb.htm

Oh thankies :p
How do they get along with gourami? Well Gourami are semi-aggressive themselves, I'm sure they can defend themselves :p hopefully

Oh thankies :p
How do they get along with gourami? Well Gourami are semi-aggressive themselves, I'm sure they can defend themselves :p hopefully

I think they would be fine together :good:
I just did a quick search and many people recommend getting blue Gouramis (or other gouramis that are bigger than the barbs) and NOT dwarf gouramis to put with rosy barbs.

For decades known as Barbus conchonius, then Puntius conchonius, and currently Pethia conchonius. In the trade, Rosy Barb or Rosey Barb. Wild specimens can grow 100mm or a little over, but they are generally peaceful unless presented with obvious food, (read great long flowing fins etc.). The example in your picture is far from a wild fish however. It is an easy, (VERY EASY), species to breed, and breeders love to pick weird characteristics to breed /on/ or extend. The result is the longer, impractical finnage, the extended, somewhat unnatural colouration, and the inevitable shorter lifetime.

Personal choice of course, but I would never buy something like that. Wild fish are rare, shops are full of bland, poor quality fish or line bred monstrocities.

But for a beginner like me it's easier to pick up such fish, I'd rather have 6 of these guys than 1 wild one. It's mostly an economic thing, to order one for the same price as picking up six from the lfs.
Maybe once I am more sure of my ways and have more disposable income I`ll look into more exotic or as you would say better fish. For the time being, the inbreds are whats best for me.

I`ve been looking around for blue Gourami, all I`ve been able to find at he local LFS is Opline, which I have been told is most certainly not the same :p

Blue Gourami are actually a pretty pugnacious species and grow large enough to become an issue.

Diamond Rosy Barb.

You can see a picture at Yahoo "images". I am not certain, but I checked my source and they didn't have it listed. However when I search the images for "Golden Polka-Dot Barb", a picture of the Diamond Rosy Barb. It has a dark spot near the tail, and a red spot under or near the gill. That's what I saw in your picture.

Most reactions

Back