Banner Fish

Riley

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Im thinking about getting a couple banner fish for my 90gal. I was wondering whats the best way to keep them in a group? Will a pair of them get along? Are they reef safe? Please tell me some facts on them.

-Riley

This is the extent of my knowledge on bannerfish :). Looks like they're butterfly fishes so not reef-safe (will eat corals).

They are reef safe.

Latin Name - Heniochus acuminatus
Common Name - Black and White Heniochus
Also known as - Longfin Bannerfish, Heniochus Butterfly

This is one of the more durable of the butterflyfish species, and one of a few butterflies that are generally reef safe. It is a very active fish and should be housed in a tank of at least 55 gallons. It will tolerate members of its own kind in the same aquarium, as long as they are introduced to the tank at the same time. Members of a captive group will form a dominance hierarchy. Individuals fight for dominance by butting foreheads and trying to push each other backwards and when they display at each other. It will sometimes clean other fishes. This is a zooplankton feeder that can be housed with corals and other ornamental invertebrates. An occasional individual may nip at Xenia or other soft corals. Most specimens are around 2.5-3.5" Shown are huge specimens which have dorsal "streamers" longer than those of smaller specimens.

This is a zooplankton feeder that can be housed with corals and other ornamental invertebrates

I had a Bannerfish in my 90g Reef for ages, was a very friendly fish towards its tankmates, never bothered any of my Inverts or Corals, as Moontang says they are one of the easier Butterflys to care for & also one of the only reefsafe one's

:good:

Same fish, just :shifty: incocnito

Most reactions

Back