Bamboo Forest Setup

AJLee613

Reaction score
bambooforestyq0.jpg

bambooforest2ae2.jpg

haha i baught these for 1 dollor each at the 99 ranch market haha

Sorry to spoil the party, but those are not truly aquatic, they will rot unless the leaves are above water. They will die and pollute the tank, best to plant them in a pretty vase and get a true aquatic plant.

Yeah i suggest remove them and add something better and more suitable for the tank.

I'll spoil the party even further by pointing out they're not bamboo either. :p

Might work if the tank was open-top though.

I have a large collection of "lucky bamboo" and it really irks me that they're selling these as aquatic plants now. I see them in every pet store I've been to. They show them with the stalks half in water, sticking out of a betta bowl, or as this poster has, totally submerged in water. I've even see plastic ones!!

They are really dracaena plants. They can be kept in soil or water. In water, they will rot if more than 2" of the stalk is under water. They also need bright light, frequent water changes and liquid fertilizer like Miracle Grow or Green Green.

Tank does resemble a flooded forest, pretty nice and natural looking. But as others say you'll have to replace them after a while :fun:.

They are really dracaena plants. They can be kept in soil or water. In water, they will rot if more than 2" of the stalk is under water. They also need bright light, frequent water changes and liquid fertilizer like Miracle Grow or Green Green.

I had one that grew really well for a few months in a planted tank with just the leaves above the water in a tank though :). Was an impulse when I was at a garden centre (89p).

As you say you do need to make sure the leaves receive some decent light however, I had a small 11w arcadia florescent original tropical bulb over it.

I had one that grew really well for a few months in a planted tank with just the leaves above the water in a tank though :). Was an impulse when I was at a garden centre (89p).

Wow, you got lucky. I've had them rot with just 4" of the stem in water in a tall glass. That's when I found out about the 2" thing from a friend that raises them and sells them to florists.

They're quite hardy when submerged, I've heard that they'll stay alive for over a year even when completely underwater. Definitely not a good idea for a permanent display though.

I don't think 2" thing is true though, I know a lot of people who just keep them in those giant vases filled with water, and they've been alive and growing for years.

i have them in the 90g as its open top, it grow out the top, and it has rooted well and send up shoots every few weeks.

It is bamboo
No it's not :p .

As arvlyn says, they are Dracaena sanderiana. I think it even says that on the tag when you buy them "Lucky Bamboo" then underneath "Dracaena sanderiana" :).

Most reactions

Back