Balloon Belly Molly

Salty's suggestion about crushed coral will increase GH and pH. Though dolomite is better as that contains magnesium as well as calcium (those are the two 'hardness' minerals)
Dolomite is found usually in caves right?

I don't know where it's found to be honest.

There are a few places that make dolomite fish tank substrates (eg Aquael) Those substrates intended for Rift Lake cichlids will also increase GH.

I don't know where it's found to be honest.

There are a few places that make dolomite fish tank substrates (eg Aquael) Those substrates intended for Rift Lake cichlids will also increase GH.
I could make it a good use actually. It would help my mollies, actually my livebearers. Aquael makes it?

I can't tell anything from the picture but it might have split the skin on its belly an the black is intestine or part of the internal organs.

It looks a bit rough for loaches and cories but as they are soft water fish, they won't need this substrate to 'harden' the water.

It looks a bit rough for loaches and cories but as they are soft water fish, they won't need this substrate to 'harden' the water.
Yeah, I thought about that. I was just curious. My pH is 7.2, something about that, I'm not quite sure. Limestone is great to harden the water? Asking just because I'm going to have a reef tank :)

Limestone is calcium carbonate. Dolomite is calcium magnesium carbonate.
Hardness is the amount of mainly calcium with some magnesium and trace amounts of other minerals.

Limestone will add calcium to the water which will make it harder. Dolomite adds calcium and magnesium, both of which make it harder. It's just that adding magnesium makes it more like naturally occurring hard water.

I know nothing about marine tanks; you would better asking someone who knows about them ;)

Limestone is calcium carbonate. Dolomite is calcium magnesium carbonate.
Hardness is the amount of mainly calcium with some magnesium and trace amounts of other minerals.

Limestone will add calcium to the water which will make it harder. Dolomite adds calcium and magnesium, both of which make it harder. It's just that adding magnesium makes it more like naturally occurring hard water.

I know nothing about marine tanks; you would better asking someone who knows about them ;)
Ahh.. makes sense. I'm not good in these lol.

I did make a thread about setting up a reef tank and Colin mentioned something about limestone ;)
So I'm just making sure too lol

Most reactions

Back