Bala Sharks & Tiger Barbs: Multiple Diseases In One Tank?!

malphonse

Reaction score
:help2: This is my story. I need advice on the symptoms I saw, the treatments advised and what I’m missing.

PetSmart is my source for fishes and most of my aquarium needs. I moved 4 bala sharks and 2 tiger barbs from a 10 gal to a cycled 55 gal tank. I went back to PetSmart and bought 4 more barbs.

Within a week, one barb started acting strangely: flipping over, swimming sideways at the surface of the tank, breathing rapidly (swim bladder? transit? stress?). It died 2 days later. About two more barbs started rapid gill movements. Several fish seemed to have lost most of their appetites for fish flakes, but the frozen blood worms were still popular.

Two days after that, one of my precious sharks showed similar symptoms like the barbs, including pointing downwards for a long time (swim bladder?). :cussing: I did an emergency 50% water change and regular water treatment (vacuum, wash out filters, stress zyme, stress coat, alkalinity/pH regulation and reinstate the 0.2% salinity).

The sick bala’s upper torso turned dark green (almost black) with a fine gold dust (velvet?). It also became lethargic – at one point, it lay still at the front of the tank and even allowed me to shine a flashlight on it! It also had frayed fins, displayed a shimmying behavior (cotton mouth?) and I noticed redness at the base of the dorsal fin (haemorrhagic septicaemia? tuberculosis?). :bang:

I went to PetSmart the next day and was advised to raise the temp to 85°F (up from 78°F) and triple the salinity to 0.6% for a week. The sick bala shark died. :cry: I took it back to PetSmart but they couldn’t determine the root cause :X. They advised me to start a 5-day broad spectrum treatment using Lifeguard from Jungle Labs (http://www.junglelabs.com/pages/details.asp?item=TT102), even with the elevated temperature and salinity levels. During this period, one barb showed raised scales around its abdomen (dropsy?). :irk: It is now day 6 and I’m down to 2 sharks and one barb.

The barbs began to die, one after the other. I took a close look at one of them: it had swollen gills and abdomen and what appeared to be a yellowish slime at the side of its torso, behind the gills (tuberculosis?).

To add insult to injury, one of my last two precious balas is now swimming on its side, has a darkening upper torso (it’s currently brown – is this velvet?), has redness on its dorsal fin and is sometimes lethargic. I should mention that it got ill after fraternizing with one of the sick barbs, so maybe it contracted something? :(

:evil: I have resigned myself to accepting that all the fish will die before I get the root cause(s). I need find out what really went wrong (I’m strongly suspecting a bad batch of barbs :anger: ), what I need to do re-stabilize the tank and what other tests I should get to prevent this from happening again (I have tests for ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, hardness, pH, alkalinity, chlorine, temperature, oxygen and salinity).

The whole purpose for getting the 55 gal tank was for keeping the 4 bala sharks for many years and see them grow to their 12-14†adult size. :cheers: I never encountered this magnitude of problems with the 10 gal tank even though it was heavily overcrowded. This is an addictive hobby and I’ve come too far in five short months to quit. I’ll appreciate any help that you, the more seasoned experts out there, can give me. Let me know if you need any further information from me.

Velvet can show in white dusting to a yellow golden dusting or a brown varnish look.
Velvet is worse than whitespot and soon destroys the gills, and harder to get rid of.
You have bacterial infections on top which parasites can cause.
What was the ph and temp from the old tank to the new one.

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/docs/heal...thprotist.shtml

You sure the tank was cycled?

I'm pretty sure it was. I had an additional filter (Penguin 200), which has a bio wheel with beneficial bacteria from the 10 gal tank. The ammonia level peaked at 0.5ppm then dropped off. Without the bio wheel, I would have expected it to rise much higher and take longer to come back down. Total time: 12 days.

Velvet can show in white dusting to a yellow golden dusting or a brown varnish look.
Velvet is worse than whitespot and soon destroys the gills, and harder to get rid of.
You have bacterial infections on top which parasites can cause.
What was the ph and temp from the old tank to the new one.

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/docs/heal...thprotist.shtml
I was also told that columnaris could be present as well. What do you think?

Well i still have the 3 bala sharks and 6 barbs, 2 tiger, 2 gold? and 2 Green. I moved them from small one in to 46 gal and they are ok, but first couple of days they were mest up, but i put the tempeture like on my small one and i add some fish stress relieve from pets store, one day later they were ok, then i fixed the PH and stuff. It's been 2 month now they are ok.
Check the water for the disease.

Parasites do cause bacterial infections.
Any cotton wool growths on the fish, fungus can grow on dead tissue.

I know several people that keep Tiger Barbs in their tanks precisely because they start to show stress signs so quickly when there is something wrong with the water. The nose down, rapid breathing, blood flecks are all classics. It sounds to me as if something went wrong with your cycling and you've had a spike which was bad enough to damage the fish.

Once damaged and stressed of course, their immune systems are lowered, sometimes collapsing completely, and they can fall foul to whatever else comes along the line.

A lot of those diseases you mention are really unlikely if you only have these cyprinids. They are, however, species which simply do not tolerate nitrogen pollution.

Most reactions

Back