Baffleless

weezawoo

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I am contemplating running my sump without baffles, purely because Ive been really really clever and plumbing my tank with the sump tank sat in place. The problem occurs where the pipes are right in the corner and is now impossible to get the tank out to get the baffles in :blush:

So I have been researching about it and have found on some forums where people run it without baffles at all.
I also have problems with my skimmer fitting so I have taken the side panel off the cabinet (its built around a metal frame stand) so I can hang the skimmer over the edge of the sump easily.

Apart from maybe some issues with micro bubbles are there any other issues you might see? I have a piece that came with my tank that has 1 1/2 inches high sides with a bottom part with multiple holes in, I am thinking of trying to silicone that in the centre part to grow some chaeto on and have some LR rubble underneath it.

Let the mocking commence! haha

Unless the sump has water in it surely you can silcon the baffles in situ ? Micro bubbles are only an issue if you want sponges or sea horses. Otherwise it's just an aestetics thing.

There is all of 2 inches (if that) above it space wise, I can barely get my arm in properly to be able to get them straight etc. Also there is a 1 inch glass lip around the top edge on the tank so again little bit harder to move things around with it in the way! Feel a right fool! Also on filling the tank I got around 2 inches of water in there before turning the ballvalve to shut. I just about managed to turn it off so there is a small amount of water in there!

How are you going to do anything in your sump/ clean your skimmer out with such a small space ?

Well the skimmer is going to hang on the side of the sump outside the cabinet!

It all went wrong :(

not at all, with pics i may be able to see what you could do differently. i would never mock...... am a total beginner here myself dont forget

Ive ran sumps without baffles before. While not ideal it worked ok. Id suggest a filter sock on the down pipe to reduce bubbles.

Oh thats good to hear! Thank you!

I was thinking of getting a sock but was wondering about the holders for them not having anywhere to rest on. Was also trying to figure a way to use some filter floss which was my original plan.

Most reactions

Back