Badly Repaired 30g

scoobyroo

Reaction score
hi
my tank got the bottom busted out and i sent it too the glass people to repair but instead of putting the bottom back INSIDE the tank they just stuck it on the bottom around the outside of the glass :crazy: . will it be OK to fill all the way up? i used to have axolotls in it but only filled it half way up.

no but its all sealed and doesnt leak i was just wondering if it might suddenly burst.

hope that any vessel made to hold a large volume of water - when becomes comprimised - and put back together would not fall apart when re-filled ----i would be VERY VERY apprehensive!!!

think it's a case of 50/50 it may or may not - i hope it dont -!!!

Now wait a minute!

In my mind, I see the typical aquarium with either a plastic or metal frame on the bottom. All sides of the glass are securely bonded to this frame using aquarium adhesive. Are you saying the glass shop simply re-attached the glass to the bottom of the frame?

What? :unsure:

If one were to properly replace the glass, the bottom frame would have to be completely removed, with great difficulty I might add, then replace the bottom piece inside the frame (it has a small lip for it to rest on) with sealant, then replace the other four pieces of glass back inside the frame, again with sealant, then run a new bead at the bottom inside all the way around where the glass meets each other.

Good Lord, man! The cost in labor alone, if actually done correctly, would far exceed the cost of a new bare replacement tank. I would have binned the tank and purchased a new one. Based on what you've described here, there is no way I'd trust it, even after filling it up and testing for leaks. Structurally, it's probably FUBAR.

hi
my tank got the bottom busted out and i sent it too the glass people to repair but instead of putting the bottom back INSIDE the tank they just stuck it on the bottom around the outside of the glass :crazy: . will it be OK to fill all the way up? i used to have axolotls in it but only filled it half way up.

That depends on several things. If it was originally a floating base design, which Terra Dreamer is refering to, it was repaired improperly. With a floating base tank the bottom doesn't actually touch the stand, it's raised up about 1/2" and held by the sides. All the weight of the tank is supported by the edges. They should have easily been able to see this, and repaired it properly.

If it's a traditional design tank, where the weight is supported by the entire bottom it shouldn't matter if they put it on the inside of the sides flush with the bottom, or attached it to the bottom so it's supporting the sides.

Most reactions

Back