Bad Smell In Tank.

Jordo

Reaction score
So I have recently been getting this really bad smell in my guppy fry tank, its horrible, since it started I have done full water changes 3 times and that only keeps the smell away for about 3 days before it comes back. I have scrubbed down all my ornaments and remove all my rocks that layer the tank but yet it has come back. What could it be?

Sulfur????
I always have a "pooey" smell in my tanks but thats only if I stick my face almost in it.. like an inch away.

My guess is bacteria or something died and got stuck somewhere. Do you have (new) carbon in the filter?

My guess is bacteria or something died and got stuck somewhere. Do you have (new) carbon in the filter?

What type of foods are you feeding them... I had the same problem when I fed Hikari flakes and heard so from others as well.

I doubt its dead things considering i've change the water and remove rocks etc. and yes it is a carbon filter.

I have changed foods also about 3 times but the smell just returns.

I doubt its dead things considering i've change the water and remove rocks etc. and yes it is a carbon filter.

I have changed foods also about 3 times but the smell just returns.

Hey Jordo, are you using sand? I had this problem a few weeks ago granted it didn't stink the room out just the tank but after emptying the tank and swilling the sand about I found hundreds of dead and dying leaves buried.

Is it possible you have dead guppy fry in the filter?

Or you could have lots of debris in the gravel?

But is the carbon new? As in less than two weeks old. It can soak up bad smells and impurities in water better when it's newer. Or can you get extra carbon to put in the tank? It won't "solve" the problem but might keep the room from smelling horrible.

Look at the stand itself, or any floor coverings that may have absorbed tank water. Check under the rim of the tank, both top & bottom, as well as any recesses that you may have from light fixtures for signs of mold.

Having on many occasions used a towel to wipe up a tank spill, and shoving it to the side being busy with something else in the fishroom, I guarantee in less than 2 days that wet towel with tank water will start to reek. A quick rinse in chlorinated tap water, hang it to dry & problem solved. Plain tap water & a wet/dry vac will solve a carpeting problem, I've never had that issue with tile, though I imagine if there was some way for water to seep underneath it is possible.

^I've had water leakage go through tile. Took out half my kitchen ceiling! Wasn't fish related but does show the damage water can do to the building. :blink:
I assume you have no algae growth anywhere on the tank, sounds like you're cleaning extensively. Are you sure the smell is coming from the tank itself and not something nearby?
If it is the tank how much are you feeding and what sort of foods? Even though you have stated you have used different food types, you have not stipulated which.
Check absolutely everything (pipes, filter, surrounding area etc). Hope you find the cause.
P.

Most reactions

Back