Bad Night For The Fishes.

mikebig

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey all, I have 6 rainbow fish (bosmanis and reds) an three of them look like they have white dust on them. Covering nearly all there bodies, which flakes off when they swim against the filter flow. It is not causing pain of any thing obvious like that. However i figured this to be white spot so i treated accordingly. But now i find all three clown loaches die in the same last night. No signs of anything on them, nothing at all. Tank has been running nearly two months now. Cycled without fish. Did a test this morning and amonia is 0, Nitrite is about 0.8mg/l (was 0 when i did a water change on Thursday) and nitrate is 30-35mg/l (this is a normal reading for my tank).

This is strange to me how this happened also my filter outflow pipe had leaked about 20 litres or water on to my bedroom floor! for the first time ever! These incidents can't be related to though can they?

Any help on this is much appreciated as i fear for the lives of everyone else in the tank.

Hi,

Loaches are very sensitive to medications and should generally only be treated with a half dose. Which treatment did you use ? i've had sucess with interpet antiwhitespot + at half dose also protozin at half dose.

If they look like they have dust on them it is most likely the disease called velvet, ich (whitespot) looks like they have been sprinkled with salt.

Emma

Interpet antiwhitespot + is what i used, it did not say anything on the lable or in the booklet about clown loaches. It even has them on the box!!! :/ Just a bit upsetting to lose a whole species in one evil sweep.

since loaches dont have scales, i thought u cudnt them with normal meds, thats wat it says on my interpet fungal infection treatment!

Hey guys, woke up this morning to find "Ozzy" My red finned shark dead now too. And one Red Ranibowfish looks like he is struggling. Nitrite back down to zero now after yesterdays spike. Any suggestions? He had no signs of anything wrong with him, was just ... dead!

Most reactions

Back