Bad for plants?

Hearing it from a "knowledgable source" is one thing, hearing it from someone who heard it from someone else is quite different. While they might think their source is knowledgeable, it obviously doesn't prove it is and certainly not in all cases.

jollysue said:
Good input Miss Dib Dabs.

I tried to start a scrap over there with the plant people who put the good name of our BN's into disrepute. But so far they are ignoring me. :lol:
[snapback]871568[/snapback]​

Trouble maker :p

OIJ did answer me and very courteously too. A reasonable person, But I'm not convinced that my BN will turn into a plant munchies monster or murauder, yet. I need cited sources. :flex:

I'm ready to try a siamese algae eater though :D :rolleyes:

I was union, lucky, and a 60's protester. Got some Irish too. It's hard to ignore a good natured scrap. :*)

jollysue said:
OIJ did answer me and very courteously too.  A reasonable person, But I'm not convinced that my BN will turn into a plant munchies monster or murauder, yet.  I need cited sources. :flex:

I'm ready to try a siamese algae eater though :D  :rolleyes:

I was union, lucky, and a 60's protester.  Got some Irish too.  It's hard to ignore a good natured scrap. :*)
[snapback]871767[/snapback]​

Irish ................that where my nick really comes from ;)

did you see think link I left on that thread about the flag fish ?

Sorry, "nick"? Is that NY Long Island talk?

Yes I did. Interesting. I'm not sure about the hair algae yet though. Nice fish could be a good addition to the stock. Why not add him here too as an interest. I'll keep him in mind when I'm at the lfs. Killfish cost a little? I'm glad you found some help with that hair algae for your tanks. :thumbs: What forum are killfish?

Edit: OOPS! Sorry not a killfish :blush: I looked at the flag fish again: handsome devil !

jollysue said:
Sorry, "nick"? Is that NY Long Island talk?

Yes I did. Interesting. I'm not sure about the hair algae yet though. Nice fish could be a good addition to the stock. Why not add him here too as an interest. I'll keep him in mind when I'm at the lfs. Killfish cost a little? I'm glad you found some help with that hair algae for your tanks. :thumbs: What forum are killfish?

Edit: OOPS! Sorry not a killfish :blush: I looked at the flag fish again: handsome devil !
[snapback]871792[/snapback]​

my nickname.............lucky ," catch lucky , he's got lucky charms " :p

Did you grow up in Long Island?

Off subject a bit but still about bad for plants: About not using the chemical filter carbon, because it's bad for the plant nutrition? Is chemi-pure ok? I asked in that thread, but no one answered. I've been using chemi-pure with carbon ( I've got enough carbon filters for a year.)

jollysue said:
Are you going to find her a friend, poor thing?

I have read that as plecos get larger some plants may break off from their weight as they are algae scraping. This was in reference to a diferent species. :dunno:
[snapback]871376[/snapback]​

yes i'm off tomrw to get her a new mate, an albino also coming home with enougher 9 :blush:

I missed some of that, Woodie, the last part.

Is that a long finned albino BN? I don't know how many varieties there are, but there's also a golden albino BN. I have 3 Orange BN, who are off pink now. They will darken as they get older I gather and have spotted noses. They are funny things and dear. :lol: I saw two fussing over a cave I think. They don't really swim do they?

How old and big is your lady? Did she breed?

I'm off to :zz

Night Night

jollysue said:
I missed some of that, Woodie, the last part.

Is that a long finned albino BN?  I don't know how many varieties there are, but there's also a golden albino BN.  I have 3 Orange BN, who are off pink now.  They will darken as they get older I gather and have spotted noses.  They are funny things and dear. :lol:  I saw two fussing over a cave I think.  They don't really swim do they?

How old and big is your lady?  Did she breed?

I'm off to :zz

Night Night
[snapback]871967[/snapback]​

i've alwasy wanted to try and breed BN's someone local is selling a lot of them really cheaply (breeder). so i thought i might as well get some! i'm getting a mate for my BN and then 4 pairs, there all albino as he has sold all the normals, and there all around the 4" mark :biggrin:

there are great! my BN is just a normal BN i bought her from my LFS when she was tiny about an inch paid 50p for her :lol: she's around three inches at the moment

she hasnt bred as her boyfriend wasnt in long enough to breed :( but hopefully with her new man she will :)

and no there dont swim there kind of remind me of mice the way there scurry around :rofl:

Clare

jollysue said:
Did you grow up in Long Island?

Off subject a bit but still about bad for plants:  About not using the chemical filter carbon, because it's bad for the plant nutrition?  Is chemi-pure ok?  I asked in that thread, but no one answered.  I've been using chemi-pure with carbon ( I've got enough carbon filters for a year.)
[snapback]871818[/snapback]​

off subject , but it's your thread so ....................

Yup , bought the house I grew up in ........so I guess I could say I've never gotten anywhere in life :lol:

the use of Carbon as filter media is referred to as chemical filtration , that chemi-pure you use [is carbon ] will remove impurities from water even a few trace elements that fish and plants require , fish I think can get it in fish food [ mostly the prepared kinds of foods ] , some plants can live with what fish expel as waist , most need a bit more , I began adding supplements for plants about 10 years ago with out realizing I was removing what I put in as I put it in and , affectively waisting my money , I was doing weekly water changes / filter carbon changes , then adding the supplements . this = - little or no supplements

Finally I read an article on filter carbon , the article stated the use of carbon , and the types of things it would remove from the water .........I cringed when I saw my expensive supplements were being removed as soon as they passed through my filter .

For quite a few years now I've rarely used any carbon , just to help remove left over meds and their residual discoloration from the water .

You really don't need carbon , bio filtration and weekly water changes will keep most fish very healthy it does mine [ ours] like 18 tanks , over 50 fish [ just tried to count , my Son would know] .........mechanical filtration is good to have as well .

Also I wait a day before adding my supplements , I think water conditioner may have a similar affect on them , though I have no fact to base this on ..........just a common sense kind of approach .

Woody/Clare,

I've thought of breeding BN too. If I have a female and male in the mix of the Orange BN I may do that, if they cooporate.

Yes exactly like little scurrying mice :rofl: Vey cool. I'm concerned about the one I switched from quarantine last night. I didn't spend much time acclimating because I was switching frim one tank to the other. I haven't seen all three out at once yet tonight.

Are they the Longfinned Albino? I almost got those.

Lucky62:

I bet you are right about the water conditioners. :nod:

Yes, I suppose I must make adjustments to my filtration in the big tank at least. I knew that chemi-pure was an ionized carbon, but I don't have a clue what that means, except that it won't take meds out when medicating like regular carbon. I was hopping that meant that it wouldn't take all the trace elements out, like regular carbon. It probably leaves more for the plants. I'm not in a hurry because I have an eco plant substrate and am not adding any fertalizers yet. It also isn't heavily planted for its size. There are a lot of factors operating that I can't figure yet.

Did you see? Elisabeth and I (with a little help from our forum friends) have just about figured out sexing sparklers. I'm pretty sure I have a female in the bunch. :p

jollysue said:
Woody/Clare,

I've thought of breeding BN too. If I have a female and male in the mix of the Orange BN I may do that, if they cooporate.

Yes exactly like little scurrying mice :rofl: Vey cool. I'm concerned about the one I switched from quarantine last night. I didn't spend much time acclimating because I was switching frim one tank to the other. I haven't seen all three out at once yet tonight.

Are they the Longfinned Albino? I almost got those.

Lucky62:

I bet you are right about the water conditioners. :nod:

Yes, I suppose I must make adjustments to my filtration in the big tank at least. I knew that chemi-pure was an ionized carbon, but I don't have a clue what that means, except that it won't take meds out when medicating like regular carbon. I was hopping that meant that it wouldn't take all the trace elements out, like regular carbon. It probably leaves more for the plants. I'm not in a hurry because I have an eco plant substrate and am not adding any fertalizers yet. It also isn't heavily planted for its size. There are a lot of factors operating that I can't figure yet.

Did you see? Elisabeth and I (with a little help from our forum friends) have just about figured out sexing sparklers. I'm pretty sure I have a female in the bunch. :p
[snapback]872943[/snapback]​

;) Good to see people doing their home work , and getting their hands dirty . :p

I have 3 in one tank with 2 croakers , and 2 others in my big tank , I keep looking for long fins , so far no go .............looks like a girls .........croakers too , maybe time will tell .

The giveaway for me seems to be the spots being very vague. It is sublte but distinctive on this one.

I gotta go to work. You're up late. :)

Most reactions

Back