FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ob1

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Bad Eggs

Pungent smelling water.

Does anyone know what courses the water to smell like "bad eggs"

I currently pump my fresh clean water from a tank in one room into the main tank. I have a food safe 26gallon tank feeding my main tank.

To prime the pump I have to left gravity do the work and allow water to leave my main tank and enter my water storage tank.

Once the pump is primed i switch it on and it pumps the water into the main tank - no problems. However I have noted the water, which remains in the pipe works, smell like bad eggs- really bad eggs

Can anyone explain why the water in the pipe work smells like this. I change 26gallons a week and even over that period of time the water will smell (please note it is not the main tank just the water that remains in the pipe/pump system.

all pipe work drinking water safe
Thanks

Jason
:crazy:

ever gone to a pond or river thats hardly moving at all? You get a really horrible smell of bad eggs then too. it's caused normally by the water not moving which causes a lack of oxgyen in the water and that#'s what causes smell. it's normally caused by too much anaerobic bacteria compared to aerobic bacteria............ boy did i spend too much time on a water treatment works last summer!

Most reactions

Back