Bad Advice

leafs

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I'm amazed at the the bad advice and wrong information that you can get at a lot of lfs. I was wondering how many of you like to ask questions that you already have the answers to, just to see what response you get? The worst advice that I recieved was that it would be ok to have a Bala Shark in a 29 gal! So ridiculous! :S

I was at superpetz and I saw this really cool bright red veil tail betta in a 10g or 20g tank with about 10 bala sharks and it was swimming back and forth in the front of the tank while the sharks were in the back and sincei already knew the answer I said "can a betta go with black tetras?" Then the the two people working their looked at each other then said "sure" I was laughing so hard to myself that I all most laughed out loud then I said "never mind I just remebered I don't have any more room in my 10g for it" because they were starting to scoop it out.

I was told the following from my LFS (before I found this forum)

"yes your Columbian Shark will be fine in your fresh water 10g along with your Angel Fish and your Red tailed shark and your other Angel fish, and your two Bristle Nosed catfish" (the red tailed shark I eventually found out was a rainbow shark)

I ask "it says brakish what does that mean?"

emplyee "Dont worry about it, just sprinkle a little fresh water salt"

I ask "so how should I care for the fish?"

employee "Just feed them a handfull of flaks a few times a day" (Yes, he said handful)

When I asked about Bala Sharks, I got three different answers from three different employees. 29 to 200 gallons.

Well, at least one of them new what they were talking about.

I went to a really crappy garden centre near my local ASDA and asked how big clown loaches grew. He said "2 inches" i went away laughing to myself as i already had a 5 inch one at the time. I went in the week after and they had some 3 inch ones so i said "oh i thought they only grew 2 inches" he said "oh these are jumbo clown loaches". I got a book off the shelf and showed him where it said 12 inches but he still wouldn't believe me. I have stopped going there as i bought a guinea pig from them in january which was covered in lice and had hardly any fur and was in with a 9 rabbits one of which was dead. When i got Holly i said "can i have that guinea pig please then you can move that dead rabbit" when he picked it up it was stiff and he said "oh it was fine when i fed them half an hour ago" the tanks are filthy in that place, it stinks. Poor holly had months of baths and lice treatments and she still has thin hair on her sides.

Emma

report that garden centre to the rspca!

i had to walk out of pets@home before i started to fume at the weekend
all these parents and their 7-10 year old kids buying tiny tanks and large goldfish *shudder*

In my experience the RSPCA don't give a toss unless they are being filmed on telly. In the past i have told environmental health about another crap garden centre and they said they would do a report and never got back to me. I have phoned the RSPCA about dogs running lose and they can't send anyone out and i have phoned them about some tiny pink hedgehogs whose mum got squashed but they didn't have time (my neighbour hand reared them and released them himself).

Emma

The treatment of these animals is really sad.

I hate these large corperations, they only care about money and profits, not about the well being of the animals.

I went into pets@home once, only once. All the fish looked depressed, ill and dull. First and last time i went there, it was the one in cannock, staffordshire.

I think we have to remember that for many working at at a fish shop, it's simply "just a job".
That job just so happens to be mostly cleaning tanks and bagging fish. Just because we are interested in fish and it's our hobby (or one of), we expect and hope that the people serving us, are too.
That is seldom the case.
There certainly are very many exceptions - but I think it's up to us as individuals to do our own research.
Often I've enquired about fish and received a very tentative non-commital answer. When that happens, I walk away and do my own research.
:)

I think we have to remember that for many working at at a fish shop, it's simply "just a job".
That job just so happens to be mostly cleaning tanks and bagging fish. Just because we are interested in fish and it's our hobby (or one of), we expect and hope that the people serving us, are too.
That is seldom the case.
There certainly are very many exceptions - but I think it's up to us as individuals to do our own research.
Often I've enquired about fish and received a very tentative non-commital answer. When that happens, I walk away and do my own research.

Good advise, but when you purchase something, you expect the person working there to know what there talking about. Thats what gets me angry. Research, research!

That is seldom the case.

That is why I was so happy the other day when I went to a petland futher away from me, the guy there was a complete fish fanatic :hyper: And he definatly knew what he was talking about, and when I walked in, I could even see him triming the plants :eek:

At petsmart I asked what fish would be ok for my 55 gal...and they told me that any of the fish their could go in my 55 gal and the size shouldnt matter.

Most reactions

Back