Bactinette

Wrams

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was just reading in the 'Tropical Discussion' forum that Axleuk used Bactinette to cycle his tank within 24 hours. His Amonia reading 24 hours after the first reading came back with Amonia 0 ppm and Nitrite 0 ppm and Nitrate 5.0 ppm. If this is the case then why can't we all us this when our Amonia is slightly over? I'm not going to use it as my tanks fine, just cusrious to see what others think and if they feel it would reduce Amonia and Nitrite in tanks that have been running for some time?

NOTE: I would also like to point out to newcomers that you still have to know what you are doing to use this stuff so don't think that youv'e found an easy way out. :unsure:

I was just reading in the 'Tropical Discussion' forum that Axleuk used Bactinette to cycle his tank within 24 hours. His Amonia reading 24 hours after the first reading came back with Amonia 0 ppm and Nitrite 0 ppm and Nitrate 5.0 ppm. If this is the case then why can't we all us this when our Amonia is slightly over? I'm not going to use it as my tanks fine, just cusrious to see what others think and if they feel it would reduce Amonia and Nitrite in tanks that have been running for some time?

NOTE: I would also like to point out to newcomers that you still have to know what you are doing to use this stuff so don't think that youv'e found an easy way out. :unsure:

This is a very good point and i would like to mention that had i not read up on the fishless cycling before using Bactinette, i never would have understood the chemistry of the water needed for fish to have the best possible chance of a stress free existance. Although i did read a lot of info, it was a personal choice to go ahead anyway and try Bactinette but it wasnt somethign i did blind, i had to be reassured that it did actually work. My only regret was adding a couple of fish perhaps a little too soon, however they appear to be doing well and my water tests are still staying consistant.

There are many 'old school' members that will try to dismiss its claims and thats fine, we all have our opinions, and if you are happy to wait then great, but we must embrace new methods of cycling in order to move forward.

For those that have not read my previous post you can find it here. Bactinette - Why bother with fishless cycling?

This is a very good point and i would like to mention that had i not read up on the fishless cycling before using Bactinette, i never would have understood the chemistry of the water needed for fish to have the best possible chance of a stress free existance. Although i did read a lot of info, it was a personal choice to go ahead anyway and try Bactinette but it wasnt somethign i did blind, i had to be reassured that it did actually work. My only regret was adding a couple of fish perhaps a little too soon, however they appear to be doing well and my water tests are still staying consistant.

There are many 'old school' members that will try to dismiss its claims and thats fine, we all have our opinions, and if you are happy to wait then great, but we must embrace new methods of cycling in order to move forward.

For those that have not read my previous post you can find it here. Bactinette - Why bother with fishless cycling?

Hiya Buddy, It wasn't the fishless cycle that interested me as such but the fact that if someone had a tank set up and had fish swimming freely but there Amonia or Nitrite spiked would this be a quick way of reducing the spike instead of worrying about your fish....Hope that makes sense?

Ive looked at most, if not all of these quick cures, and cannot see how they can work in the stated way... you can "get rid" of ammonia with chemicals - in fact you can hide most nasties with a little crafty chemistry.
The stats may look fine, but I would be interested in seeing the tanks progress over say, six months.

Its a dangerous line we walk - noobs are itching to get going, and will sieze on ANY shortcut available - mostly to the detriment of the fish, my advice would be to follow a proven technique and avoid miracle potions.

Ive looked at most, if not all of these quick cures, and cannot see how they can work in the stated way... you can "get rid" of ammonia with chemicals - in fact you can hide most nasties with a little crafty chemistry.
The stats may look fine, but I would be interested in seeing the tanks progress over say, six months.

Its a dangerous line we walk - noobs are itching to get going, and will sieze on ANY shortcut available - mostly to the detriment of the fish, my advice would be to follow a proven technique and avoid miracle potions.

^^^^ snap ^^^^

Bactinettes is usually compared to Bio-Spira, which I've had some experience using - both are refrigerated cultures, so they're far more likely to survive shipping compared to shelf products (Some of which don't have any or the right bacteria anyway). They've got the same weakness: They could be ruined by mishandling at almost any point from the manufacturer to the tank.

Bio-Spira has the potential to do what you're looking for, but it has a comparable potential to waste $30. I imagine Bactinettes is similar. Dumping it into a tank that has high ammonia or nitrite levels also seems to cause it to fail more from what I've read, so getting it as low as possible before use is still worthwhile.

As Rooster said: Don't count on it. Go ahead and try, but keep in mind that it may not work, or it may only accellerate your cycle and you'll still be doing water changes for a while. There's only so much it can fix, too. If you're underfiltered or badly overstocked (If I remember from other threads, weren't you adding a second filter?), no amount of the stuff will cycle the tank.

I understand what your saying. The chemistry that you mention is from years of looking after and breeding fish. Myself being a newbie makes it more complicated, sometimes i have trouble understanding what you guys are on about. One day i will learn :hyper: What i'm saying is my Amonia is 0.25ppm and Nitrites are the same. I would however like it to be 'Zero' even though i've heared guys in the forums say 0.25 is ok but anything higher is dangerous. Well all i need is for my Amonia to spike just enough to take me over that 0.25 and i'll start losing fish AGAIN!! Also im trying to see inside my tank but its very cloudy, hopefully that will go in a few days, i was told its probably 'Blooming' lets hope so. :good:

.25 isn't "ok," it's accepted as an unavoidable risk while cycling with fish. It limits the dangers to hardy fish for short term exposure. Systematical nitpicking, I guess, but there you go.

in response to Rooster:

Bactinettes is a proven technique. Its not a miracle potion it is merely another option. Dont assume us 'NOOBS' only use it because we are itching to get going. I chose to use it because i felt it worth a try. Had my results not been successful i never would have continued, however my expreience will benefit those that are open to other options when making a decision on which method to use.

I do, however appreciate your opinion and encourage others to express their thoughts also :)

In response to Wrams:

I do believe there are other methods available that can help control Ammonia levels but i dont see any reason why Bactinette would not work or at least aid recovery, but please bear in mind i dont really have the experience to offer definitive answer, and am sure there are others that can go into a little more details as to the pros and cons of such a treatment.

I understand what your saying. The chemistry that you mention is from years of looking after and breeding fish. Myself being a newbie makes it more complicated, sometimes i have trouble understanding what you guys are on about. One day i will learn :hyper: What i'm saying is my Amonia is 0.25ppm and Nitrites are the same. I would however like it to be 'Zero' even though i've heared guys in the forums say 0.25 is ok but anything higher is dangerous. Well all i need is for my Amonia to spike just enough to take me over that 0.25 and i'll start losing fish AGAIN!! Also im trying to see inside my tank but its very cloudy, hopefully that will go in a few days, i was told its probably 'Blooming' lets hope so. :good:

As Corleone has already mentioned, filters that may not be upto the job and over stocking are not really going to help matters as overstocking will produce more ammonia than the bacteria can process, no matter how well you cycle your tank.

I only added 4 small fish to start with, therefore i am still cycling my tank with manageable amounts of ammonia. If i was to add so much fish that i was overstocked, then i am pretty sure that the Bactinettes would not have pulled me out of the preverbial ####.

Most reactions

Back