Backpacking in the Big Sandy drainage

Fun facts about Pikas, even though they live high in the mountains they do not hibernate but live on "hay" they gathered and dried during the summer. You can find their hay piles under large rocks and in some cave entrances. Pikas need to eat some of their poop to remain healthy, this poop is different than the poop they don't eat, this is similar to rabbits which makes sense because pikas are lagomorphs too.

I miss the Rockies too, don't get me wrong I like the coast where I live now, but the Rockies give you a real sense of freedom and space.

Fun facts about Pikas, even though they live high in the mountains they do not hibernate but live on "hay" they gathered and dried during the summer. You can find their hay piles under large rocks and in some cave entrances. Pikas need to eat some of their poop to remain healthy, this poop is different than the poop they don't eat, this is similar to rabbits which makes sense because pikas are lagomorphs too.

I miss the Rockies too, don't get me wrong I like the coast where I live now, but the Rockies give you a real sense of freedom and space.
The ones we saw were all running around with mouths full of vegetation to store for the winter. :)

I read somewhere that Pikas will store certain toxic plants in their hay piles. The toxins inhibit mold, making the plants last longer. The pikas live off the tastier plants in early winter. As the season wears on and all the yummy stuff gets eaten up and/or spoiled, the toxins in the other plants diminish and those plants get the critters through until the new spring growth begins.

Most reactions

Back