Back To This Again

Trance2006

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey guys, I own a 74 gallon tank freshwater aggresive and recently took out the old 20 gallon I had.

Now I wanted to ask you, because I was thinking of getting peaceful fish, but I don't remember if its good since they tend to be more sensitive, unlike aggresive.

If it could be peaceful I am planning on a pair of guaramies, some large tetras, cory cats and the such.

But If aggressive is the way Im housing it with figure 8, oscars, and a couple of cichlids.

The substrate will be black tahitian moon sand.

Welcome to TFF! :) Your tank sounds like it will be great; peaceful fish aren't particularly sensitive but as with aggressive types, each species differs.

A 74 gallon will not house oscars for life, not wanting to teach you to suck eggs but Oscars are cichlids too and very aggressive ones at that, maybe think about smaller cichlids in your 74? :)

KOD my cichlids in my 74 G are about 2 inches each. And the oscars are 2.5 inches. I also got a figure 8 puffer at 2 inches.

I was thinking some really small cichlids, or red bellied mini sharks for the 20 gallon. I have a fluval 204 unning on the 20 that was taken from my main tank along with 20 gallons of water. I figure I should be ready anywhere from 24 to 48 hours.

I'm confused, which tank are you talking about stocking?
By the sounds of it you already own a figure eight puffer and the oscars?

If so you should pick an oscar and put it in the 74, you can get away with two for a while but you'll most likely have to get rid of one someday. I don't think you should keep your puffer with them either.

Maybe get a couple more puffers and keep them in the twenty?

Ok let me clear it out

I am stocking my 20 gallon I just took out form the garage.

I want somewhat semi-aggresive.

But to let you know my current tank which is the 74 I have

2 electric yellow cichlids
2 Orange cichlids
1 yellow/black blotch cichlids
1 Figure 8
2 tiger oscars
1 electric blue cichlid

Finding out exactly what sorts of cichlids you have will be beneficial to you in the future. Not everyone knows what a yellow/black blotch is, but I'm willing to bet that some here will know just by that description :lol: Maybe if you can take a pic the folks here can properly identify them for you.

You're not going to be able to do much with a 20. Maybe some kribs? But I still like the species tank idea with the puffers.

Your oscars wont stay 2.5" for very long and they do grow BIG, and either the cichlids you have in there will grow large or they will become oscar food.
Will there be any other filtration other than the Fluval 204? That will not be man enough on a 74 gal tank esp with messy inhabitants such as oscars.

LOL the 204 is for the 20 gallon taken straight from the 74 gallon. Along with 20 gallons of the 74's water.

The 74 currently runs 3 fluval 404's right now and I have had the tank for 8 months or so. I've had those little ones since they were itty bitty things.

Ahhh I understand now, 74 is well filtered :)

Oscars dont seem to get uber aggressive til they hit 6 or 7 inches, then the fun begins

Ya I fed them those feeder minnows and they just gulped the lil suckers in one bite, the puffer had fun eating em too!

Most reactions

Back