Back Grounds

neil35

Reaction score
Hi

I am looking at getting a new tank and would like to try some aquascaping so i have a few questions.

I have looked at a few tanks and most of them have no background at all and look really good, but i will have to use a background for my tank and was wondering what looks best. I have a few ideas but what do you reckon.

Plain Black with black sand - might look to dark.

Plain black with white sand.

blue with white or black sand.

i have black bkground with black sand on my rainbow fish tank looks great really shows the colours of the fish and plants

I've got black and black :) it's still cycling so nothing's in there yet, but from pictures I have seen of other people's tanks, it really sets off the colours of the plants and fish, which is why I went for it. Some fish also prefer a dark substrate.

I've got black and black :) it's still cycling so nothing's in there yet, but from pictures I have seen of other people's tanks, it really sets off the colours of the plants and fish, which is why I went for it. Some fish also prefer a dark substrate.

What sand or gravel did you use?

most aquascapers don't bother with backgrounds as without tends to add more depth to the scape. Some choose to just use backings for pics, I personally don't bother with backgrounds.

most aquascapers don't bother with backgrounds as without tends to add more depth to the scape. Some choose to just use backings for pics, I personally don't bother with backgrounds.

Yes i have seen some and look really good but unfortunatly i have to because of where the tank and the colour of the wall.

you can actually buy frosted backgrounds which come off very easily, these are very nice.

http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/products/aquatics/accessories/tgm-light-diffusing-aquarium-backing

you can actually buy frosted backgrounds which come off very easily, these are very nice.

http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/products/aquatics/accessories/tgm-light-diffusing-aquarium-backing

That looks good i have ordered some black background but if i dont like it will go for this.

Cheers

A lot of people go for black on black. I find it overdone, personally, but it does tend to highlight the colors of your flora and fauna.

Black background all the way mate :good:

Brings out the colours of the fish really well
Shows of the green of the plants, especially when done with a low light set up. the amount of dark spots created adds depth to the tank.

Just spray paint the back of the tank (On the outside obviously )
I used Black Gloss Spray paint from Halfords Here mate

Where could I get black sand cheap? It's for a tank 5ft long x 1.5 breadth. How much do you reckon I'll need? I had planned on ordinary play sand but I would prefer black

Where could I get black sand cheap? It's for a tank 5ft long x 1.5 breadth. How much do you reckon I'll need? I had planned on ordinary play sand but I would prefer black

There's No place really that you will get "Cheap" black sand, only cheaper sand. Ive used a black sand by unipac called limpopo sand and I can definately reccomend this, however it still works out at £30 for 25kg, and you will need two bags i reckon, but could be wrong. My suggestion is buy one pack this month, and one next month to spread the cost :good:

Also, lay cat litter under the sand to give the sand some nitrient retaining proerties! but make sure its the right kind! :good:

Most reactions

Back