Baby Shrimp!

JxsPxxle

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So I got back from my lfs today after purchasing 8 shrimps. I got home and realised I had two baby ones in the bag and putting them into my tank with fish is basically killing them so I am curious as to wether I can keep them in a tank without a heater as that is all that is available.

They really need a heater, they will not survive long at 68. I would just put them into the tank.

Check on the species requirements. Some will be fine at 20

They really need a heater, they will not survive long at 68. I would just put them into the tank.
I’m considering floating a plastic container in one of my tanks and putting them in there.

It will depend on the species of shrimp. Caridina shrimp do well between 68-72f. Neocaridina do better at warmer temps. What shrimp did you get?

It will depend on the species of shrimp. Caridina shrimp do well between 68-72f. Neocaridina do better at warmer temps. What shrimp did you get?
I got yellow shrimp, blue velvet shrimp and cherry shrimp.

Those are neocaridina shrimp, not sure what kind “yellow” is but the others are definitely Neo’s.
Recommended Tank Parameters
  • pH level range: 6.4 to 8.0, ideal range: 6.8 to 7.5
  • Temperature range: 72° to 82° F
  • Water type: kH 0-8; gH 4-14; TDS 100-300

Neocaridina come in yellow as well.

Just to warn you, as these seem to be all the same species, Neocaridina davidi, they will interbreed and you'll soon have a lot of brown shrimps. The different coloured variants should be kept in separate tanks.

Most reactions

Back