Baby platy not doing well, help!

Will this work? I can’t afford to spend $60 dollars on flubendazole.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LOBGYA/?tag=ff0d01-20

I also can’t find levamisole anywhere :(
That will work for tapeworm and gill flukes but not thread/ round worms.

Don't use API General Cure because it contains Metronidazole, which is an anti-biotic and should only be used on internal protozoan & some internal bacterial infections. It also contains Praziquantel for tapeworm, but Prazi-Pro contains Praziquantel with no anti-biotics.

Prazi-Pro is the better of the two products because it is just Praziquantel. However, it only treats tapeworm and gill flukes.

That will work for tapeworm and gill flukes but not thread/ round worms.

Don't use API General Cure because it contains Metronidazole, which is an anti-biotic and should only be used on internal protozoan & some internal bacterial infections. It also contains Praziquantel for tapeworm, but Prazi-Pro contains Praziquantel with no anti-biotics.

Prazi-Pro is the better of the two products because it is just Praziquantel. However, it only treats tapeworm and gill flukes.
oh... i used general cure and it cured more fish than prazi but it is not good for fish long term right?

Antibiotics are great for curing bacterial infections, but useless for anything else. And misuse of antibiotics (eg using them indiscriminately for non-bacterial infections) can and has led to antibiotic resistant bacteria. This is why in the UK and many other countries we can only get antibiotics with a doctor's or vet's prescription after diagnosis of a bacterial infection.
(My mother used to work as a doctor's receptionist and it was common for people to come in say they had a cold so they needed a prescription for an antibiotic and got angry when the doctor wouldn't give them one. Antibiotics don't work on viruses like colds. If they could have bought them over the counter they'd have been buying them for every sniffle)

I doubt it's gutworms, and I see no signs of expensive to treat nematodes. I have great respect for the opinions of those who do, but I wouldn't buy meds.

He's suffering from bad luck. He's a runt in an aggressive world. He won't live long in a cup, but in a larger filtered container he might make it to a size where his tankmates will ignore him. Fish can be like birds in that if they see weakness, they often simply kill it. There are always a few fry that lose the lottery, and either you accept their cruel fate, or you try to work around it with the dreaded MTS (multiple tank syndrome) addition of a shelter tank.

Unfortunately, I came home from getting another breeder box to put him in and he had died :( I’m rather upset, but based on what a lot of you said there wasn’t really going to be a whole lot I could do. Let’s hope the other fry don’t turn on the new smallest, I’ll be watching that one very closely. It’s not quite as small, but still only around half the size of the others.

Most reactions

Back