Baby Hm With No Ventricals

azulfire24

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hi all i had part of this in another post but i will give it its own. i have a 9 week old hm baby, female i think, hehe, anyway and she has no ventricals, i cant tell if she was born that way or if s'he got in a fight and had them niped off :crazy: . i first noticed it at 4 weeks , just as soon as i could start to tell the babies apart a little and they havent really grown back. soooooo as she isnt ''breeding'' quality i was just gonna give her away. ither free to pick up or just paid postage in usa, any body interested? i would want to wait till s'he is 12 weks to ship her/him.

I have four 8 week old PK/VT crosses and neither of them appear to have ventricals either! :S

i had heard, that lack of ventrals can be caused by babies staying at the bottom of a bare bottomed tank, because thats where all the waste ends up, the ammonia builds up there before spreading out to the rest of the tank and diluting, and essentially burns off the ventrals before they have a chance to properly develop. but i can't remember where i heard it, so got no proof of it.
i know with my spawns, i get some fry who seem to hang out near the bottom most of the time (they swim fine when they do swim elsewhere though) and i have a few who grew up with no ventrals and still seem perfectly healthy. although it does seem to be the runts that were affected this way

With angels fry with no ventrals are culls. I put a small cory in fry tanks to keep the waste off of the bottom, which is generally food that is not eaten. I also keep a light on the tank 24/7 for the first couple of weeks, this keeps them from settling on the bottom in the dark.

Don't know if this will work with bettas, you may want to give it a try.

With angels fry with no ventrals are culls. I put a small cory in fry tanks to keep the waste off of the bottom, which is generally food that is not eaten. I also keep a light on the tank 24/7 for the first couple of weeks, this keeps them from settling on the bottom in the dark.

definately worth a try but in general bettas will rest on the bottom regardless whether its dark or not, oh Tolak thanks fro the tips on the angel fry some way back ive now got great 3 week old fry swimming around healthy :good: anyway back to the topic, bettas that are born without ventrals do not carry a ventraless gene so to speak, its not genetical at all, there have been so many breeders who have tried to create a ventraless betta in the past and all have failed even after using 2 ventraless bettas for the spawning, some ventral grow outwards, some curl and some split badly and never heal but it doesnt make a difference in the ability to reproduce healthy fry with ventrals.

definately worth a try but in general bettas will rest on the bottom regardless whether its dark or not, oh Tolak thanks fro the tips on the angel fry some way back ive now got great 3 week old fry swimming around healthy :good: anyway back to the topic, bettas that are born without ventrals do not carry a ventraless gene so to speak, its not genetical at all, there have been so many breeders who have tried to create a ventraless betta in the past and all have failed even after using 2 ventraless bettas for the spawning, some ventral grow outwards, some curl and some split badly and never heal but it doesnt make a difference in the ability to reproduce healthy fry with ventrals.
Will the cory eat the fry though?

That's why you use a small cory, a juvie panda works well. I breed green aeneus corys mainly for this reason, a 1/2" green cory will leave the angel fry alone, and feast on bbs.

A full grown cory may eat the fry, this is the reason I use the little ones. They get tranferred as the angels do, end up being big fat potential breeders.

ally, pm me your area code and Ill pm back what shipping is.

Most reactions

Back