Baby Bristlenose Plecs In Main Tank

DaveA76

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi noticed the other day my big male bn guarding his cave well today on the water change i had a look in to see loads of little baby still with a yolk i think as they have yellow bellies but are free swimming, think there is about 30+ that are abut 7-8mm long well my tank has keyholes, bolivians, and angels :unsure: so ive moved them thrm into a clear perspex hatchery thing that floats in the tank,
my q's are what should i feed them ? and will they be ok in the hatchery thing till i get another little grow on tank (which i will cycle with media from my main tank :good:

same as you feed the adults and they should be fine as long as there is flow through the hatchery. You may wish to leave them=m in the tank next time before you get overun with them lol once they start they never seem to stop.

put a piece of courgette or cucumber in for them to munch on. Once their egg sacks have gone.

well bought a 1foot cube a few days after my last post got all 30 babies moved over safely and were all growing well and were all commons so put in a treat of a 5mm slice of cucumber late last night got back to them at lunch time today to find cloudy water and 25 babies floating dead, after 2 large water changes the other 5 seem to be going ok so will see what happens now :( looks like the bns are getting ready to spawn again so will have more, the keyholes are showing and also the krib male has started cleaning a cave so looks like the fry tank will be busy over the next few weeks :) so may need a bigger fry tank :mad:
ps the tank was cycled as used a sponge from my internal that i put in to seed 3 months ago and was checking the levels daily did a quick check today and the levels were unreal
so i have now learnt that cucumber should only be left in for a few hours in a small capacity tank

with 25 bn the water would have got pretty bad fast tbh. BN are messy fish.

it probs was the fish and not the cucumber

with 25 bn the water would have got pretty bad fast tbh. BN are messy fish.

it probs was the fish and not the cucumber

Baby bn aren't as messy as adults. Cucumber should only be left in the tank for 2-3 hours or it will mess with the water.

Most reactions

Back