Baby Bristle Nose?

Could you actually put that into proper words and not text speak

Lol, this isn't your mobile phone. Plus this is the coldwater fish section, bristlenoses are tropical- try and find the right section ;) .

Lol, this isn't your mobile phone. Plus this is the coldwater fish section, bristlenoses are tropical- try and find the right section ;) .

SORRY MATE UR WRONG !!!!!! BRISTLENOSES CAN LIVE IN COLD WATER ASWELL YOU JUST HAVE TO PREPARE IT IN THE RIGHT WAY SO IT WILL ADDAPT TO THE WATER IT WILL EVENTUALLY LIVE IN :good:

Depends on how cold cold is really. They do well in sub tropical temps but theres no way you could expect one to live below 16c.

Please dont use locked caps. It looks like you are shouting.

SORRY MATE UR WRONG !!!!!! BRISTLENOSES CAN LIVE IN COLD WATER ASWELL YOU JUST HAVE TO PREPARE IT IN THE RIGHT WAY SO IT WILL ADDAPT TO THE WATER IT WILL EVENTUALLY LIVE IN :good:

You are just cutting its life expectancy short, fishes metabolism is controlled by the temp of the water surrounding them. Fish are actually evolved to live in different ranges of temperatures in the wild (hence terms like "tropical", "sub-tropical", "coldwater etc- these are not just here for the sake of it)- if you put a tropical fish in a coldwater tank, you will slow down its metabolism massively which will weaken its imune system and slow down things in the fishes body like its digestive system, making it more prone to things like digestion related disorders.
Secondly CAN YOU NOT SPEAK IN CAPS LOCKS please.

capslock.jpg

Try turning it off once in a while.

Bristlenose pleco's live in the cooler range of tropical temps, however any decent site on keeping them will not advise keeping them in a coldwater tank;

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/speci...p?species_id=49

SOME PEOPLE TALK IN CAPITALS BECAUSE THEY DON'T REALISE IT'S SEEN AS SHOUTING JUST EASIER TO READ FOR SOME PEOPLE!

IT'S INTERESTING HOW THIS QUESTION HAS TURNED INTO A HAVE A GO AT THE PEOPLE WHO DON'T TYPE PROPERLY AND NOT GIVE AN ANSWER TO THE QUESTION!!!!!!!

I would post in coldwater about bn plecs if i'd been told by my LFS that they are perfectly ok as cold water fish, as i heard one near me saying!

OK pedantic bit over!

Bristle nose are supposed to be the easiest plec to breed. And easy to tell the difference between males and females. I believe the male has the large bristles on it's snout and the female is pretty smooth. Provide plenty of space, and a spawning site such as a java moss covered coconut shell. I think a sandy substrate and some bogwood is also appreciated. When the fish have been well fed and settled in the tank, do a cool water change, this prompts most fish to spawn as they think the flood season is starting when they would breed in their normal habitat. Bristlenoses are pretty good parents and won't eat the eggs or fry, but fast moving tankmates might, so stick with something like pencil fish which don't move as fast as say neon tetras. I would keep them at tropical temperatures as that's closer to their natural habitats.

As for pics if that's all you're interested in, search for them on google!

Just to add to MHunt's post. I have found bristlenoses dead easy to breed- will post pictures once I have found out how to work my new digital camera. Mine turn out a new batch every three weeks (must really get round to separating them or we will get overrun). It would take something bigger than neons to eat them IMO, my platies can't manage it. They are not that tiny and the dad doesn't let them out of the cave until they are well able to take care of themselves. A piece of bogwood is supposed to aid digestion.

Just to add to MHunt's post. I have found bristlenoses dead easy to breed- will post pictures once I have found out how to work my new digital camera. Mine turn out a new batch every three weeks (must really get round to separating them or we will get overrun). It would take something bigger than neons to eat them IMO, my platies can't manage it. They are not that tiny and the dad doesn't let them out of the cave until they are well able to take care of themselves. A piece of bogwood is supposed to aid digestion.

My experience with fry consists of corydoras aenus, which are tiny! Small isn't the word!

Most reactions

Back