Babies

Frankie H

Reaction score
Ok, so I now have about 10 baby joahhni's, now how long should I keep the momma in the tank with them? I don't want the momma to be right back in the tank; I know I need to give her a break from the male, he is well a bit of a horn ball... I have never breed these guys, and they're al in the grow out tank together, and I'm just not sure on how long I need to keep her in there with them or if I should put her back in the little 4x8 mesh tank that I have for when a fish is injured or whar, if anyone has any awesome suggestions I am open thanx!

Just to be clear, did you say you have a grow out tank ready for the fry, or are they already in there with the female?

When I bred my Yellow Labs ( similiar breeding techniques to Johannii ) I took out the female, making sure to keep an eye on any fry she may spit out. I placed her in the grow out tank for a couple of days and she just stopped taking the fry into her mouth, so I placed her back into the community tank. She didn't show any efforts of eating the fry, one breeder I know keeps the female in there for a week or so. I found those couple of days gives her a break and a chance to faten up again.

Just to be clear, did you say you have a grow out tank ready for the fry, or are they already in there with the female?

When I bred my Yellow Labs ( similiar breeding techniques to Johannii ) I took out the female, making sure to keep an eye on any fry she may spit out. I placed her in the grow out tank for a couple of days and she just stopped taking the fry into her mouth, so I placed her back into the community tank. She didn't show any efforts of eating the fry, one breeder I know keeps the female in there for a week or so. I found those couple of days gives her a break and a chance to faten up again.
Yes I do have a grow out tank, I opened her mouth and massaged her throat and she spit the babies out, now shes in there with them, I wasn't sure how long I needed to have her in there with them so thanx bud!

Most reactions

Back