Babies, But No Idea Who The Mum Is.

misspiggy78

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, i have been keeping an eye on my sons (he's only 9) tank. We have been monitoring a balloon molly who has been chasing the other female mollies and acting quite aggressively. This morning we woke up to find that there was a baby in the tank, none of the other mollys look pregnant and to be honest neither does the female balloon molly, but she's the one i suspect. When trying to put the baby into the fry tank a tetra came along and took a bite of the baby, eventually spitting him out, but it was too late (my son was quite distressed, although he knows and understands that this does happen). I couldn't see any more babies, but was due to do a partial water change. So, on doing this i find another baby in the filter (still alive somehow) and one under an ornament, they are sucuessfully in the fry tank now, But i'm wondering whether i should put the balloon molly in the fry tank. I don't know what to do, any help?

call the jeremy kyle show and get a paternity test done lol

My guppy dropped 4 fry last week and she diddnt look preggers at all!

I'm not being rediculously stupid, this is a balloon molly isn't it and not just a pregnant molly? We've only had her a week.
smallfish_002.jpg

Hi, I've seen balloon mollies, and that looks more like a pregnant one to me, (only cause mine is pregnant too, and not a ballon molly) Mine almost looks the same as yours, just black, I mean I'm definetely not a fish expert so I'm probably wrong. Lol, but in my opinion it looks like a normal molly... BTW what do the little fry look like? (colors?)

Hi, I've seen balloon mollies, and that looks more like a pregnant one to me, (only cause mine is pregnant too, and not a ballon molly) Mine almost looks the same as yours, just black, I mean I'm definetely not a fish expert so I'm probably wrong. Lol, but in my opinion it looks like a normal molly... BTW what do the little fry look like? (colors?)

They're cute, they're kind of a clear colour with orange specs, which is what makes me think that this is the mum, as there's only 1 other female molly who could be, and i'm 95% sure she's not pregnant.
So any idea if she's likey to have any more or is that it for now, and when (if she does) should i expect some more?

Hey! She's likely done having them for now, mine usually have about 20-30 of em but by the time I can get to them they're eaten, and I can only save about 4 -_- But, they usually have babies every 6 weeks I think.. :) Hope I helped ;)

The time to give birth is quite a bit shorter than you might expect. It is often over with 30 or more fry delivered in just a couple of hours. If you watch her for 10 or 15 minutes and she doesn't deliver any fry, she is done. As far as what a newborn molly looks like, the ones in this picture posed for me on their birthday.

Day1Fry800.jpg

Most reactions

Back