Automatic Dimmers

chillaxin74

Reaction score
Hey all,
Been browsing thru some of the articles on here and have yet to see a response on automatic dimmers. I have some PC lights on my aquarium. They obviously have an on and off switch. It seems that the lights are only going to be as bright as the amount of power that flows thru them. By leaving the lights on the automatic dimmer should simulate a sunrise sunset effect. However i have yet been able to find a timed dimmer switch. In the mornings i wake up and the first thing i do is go to my aquarium and turn on the light. I feel bad sometimes cause it startles the fish, stresses them out and they start bumping into things. I would like to have the timer set so that when i wake up the light has gradually worked its way up. Likewise at night. Anybody find anything to accommodate something like this?

Are you sure PC t5 lights can be dimmed? Im not to sure the ballast (depends which ballast it is) is designed to be dimmer same as the tube.

I know you can get dimmable ballasts and dimmable t5's.

I going with 3 tubes. 1 tube will come on first then 15 mins later another 2 will come on (total of 3 tubes) then the 2 will go off 15 mins before the first tube does.
Although currently i only have 1x 55w pc light, but timer brings my lights on at 3.30pm so its light in the room before they come on.

Sorry for changing the thread slightly (I appreciate this thread is on the subject of T5s not LED) but has anyone tried or used the new TMC controller for dimming LED lights.

Wharehouse Aquatics has these at £79.99, very tempting!!

Sorry for changing the thread slightly (I appreciate this thread is on the subject of T5s not LED) but has anyone tried or used the new TMC controller for dimming LED lights.

Wharehouse Aquatics has these at £79.99, very tempting!!

Just thought I would add a quick update, dimmer purchased and is fantastic, what a difference it makes, the fish seem to love it especially at dusk as they seem to gradually quieten down as the lights dim. Dendra corals come out and the other zena etc close up. The moon light setting is also great and because I have the LED strips with artinic in the tank just looks like being on a night dive in the Maldives.

Highly recommended and easy to setup and control.

Are you using just leds or are they with T5`s as well?

Most reactions

Back