Auto fish feeders

So this is for your new tank? I think you don't have to buy it now,

Actually I am going try dry planting the tank first, it may be December before I fill the tank with water. I just finishing up my last home improvement project for the year, covering exterior wood windows with PVC and I plan on building a sump using the left over PVC sheets this weekend. I have to build a stand, connect plumbing to the sump and drill holes in the tank for the overflow. So I have plenty of things to do before worry about feeding my fish (it going to be a Tiger barb tank).

I have a 20 gallon tank where I can start the cycling process earlier using ammonia in a bottle.

I always shake my head when I see all the comments about how "fish can easily survive a week or longer without food". Well, hmm...so could those people, but would that be their choice? Would it be most healthy? I wonder if they've tried it? Maybe we should all just stop eating?

I have used both Eheim feeder models with success. Once calibrated for the desired food delivery, they are very reliable...and if I was going to be away for a week or longer, I would use them.
feedert.jpg
feeder2_.jpg

Most fish can easily go for a week without feeding except for fry, and fry need more care than an autofeeder can handle anyway, since they need a lot of water changes.

I am not trying to be a jerk but is this putting alot of stress on your fish by eliminating food for a week? I know they will survive but is it a nice thing to do? I plan of having 20-30 Tiger Barbs in my tank, not sure how they will react. On the other hand, I assume they will just start eating the plants.

Most of the negative comment with the Fish Mate F14 Aquarium Fish Feeder is a failure to deliver food, not over feeding.

I am not trying to be a jerk but is this putting alot of stress on your fish by eliminating food for a week? I know they will survive but is it a nice thing to do? I plan of having 20-30 Tiger Barbs in my tank, not sure how they will react. On the other hand, I assume they will just start eating the plants.

Most of the negative comment with the Fish Mate F14 Aquarium Fish Feeder is a failure to deliver food, not over feeding.
I haven't needed to leave the for a week or more without food, since I'm rarely away that long and have people I can trust to dispense the right amount of food. I also have heavily planted tanks and fish that will peck at algae, so I doubt it causes them that much stress, no. But the risk that auto feeders pose in terms of potentially coming back and finding an entirely dead tank concerns me a lot more than an extended fasting period.

Maybe we should all just stop eating?
I have used both Eheim feeder models with success. Once calibrated for the desired food delivery, they are very reliable...

I know my Golden Retriever would be quite upset if I forgot to feed her :)

The official budget (what I tell my wife) for my 75 gallon setup is $200 which means I plan on spending $400. So the cost of an automatic feeder is trivial compared to the total cost.

It just seems to me if trying to create the best possible environment for your fish (at least for herbivores), use an automatic feeder so they get feed multiple times/day while you are at work. Just little which gets quickly eaten up.

Remember that it's also not quite right to compare mammal biology to fish. Fish take their temperature from the water, they don't use food to keep warm the way mammals do.

It's not uncommon for wild dogs or wolves to go a few days between meals, some dog owners, especially raw feeders, have a fast day.

It's not cruel to only feed a snake once a week, or even longer for larger snakes. ;)

Intermittent fasting is also very popular with people now....

I'm not trying to promote starving fish or never letting them eat, or even using an auto feeder if you find one you trust. Just saying to be careful with it, and not to compare the physiology of humans to a very different type of creature. On the whole, people tend to overfeed their fish rather than underfeed, and in an established tank, there are also algae and microoganisms for fish to eat as well as what we give them.

But the risk that auto feeders pose in terms of potentially coming back and finding an entirely dead tank concerns me a lot more than an extended fasting period.

Agreed, a dead tank is the worst possible outcome.

If I got an automatic feeder, I may use it for normal feeding ie: even when I am home. If the timer is accurate (electronic), just set an alarm on your cell phone to verify it is working correctly. If the device is working properly while you are at home, it should work fine when you are away.

On the other hand, taking the automatic feeder out of storage where it has been sitting for a year, filling it with food and putting it on your tank before you go on a 2 week vacation may be a bad idea.

Of course as my wife says, I am arguing like an engineer :)

Lets not compare our 'pet' fish to the survival of starving animals in the wild.

Professional breeders all swear by multiple small feedings throughout the day. Granted many of their fish are growing out, but all the fish we keep deserve regular feeding.

Charles Clapsaddle of Goliad Farms has an interesting view of grazers and gorgers that's worth a read. Incidentally, Goliad Farms tour is a featured video (scroll down) on my website. He uses plants for filtration and only does top off's, not water changes...(but you have to see the plants!!!)

Last edited:
Folks, multiple feedings a day are required only to fry/juveniles that are growing out. Adult fish can easily go a week with no food and will be abslolutely fine. You should chose a hungry fish over a fish in a dirty and potentially poisonous water. I have had three groups of wild discus for many years and I have always traveled for work. I have left a group of discus with no food for more than 3 weeks with no issues. Not only my first group of wild discus was fine, but a pair spawned in the tank when I was traveling! Smaller fish might not do as well fasting as long, but you should understand that depending where the fish comes from it will often go over quite long periods of time with little food. In the Amazon, there is little food available in the dry season, when water levels decline significantly, and plenty of food in the rainy season.

Lets not compare our 'pet' fish to the survival of starving animals in the wild.

Professional breeders all swear by multiple small feedings throughout the day. Granted many of their fish are growing out, but all the fish we keep deserve regular feeding.

Charles Clapsaddle of Goliad Farms has an interesting view of grazers and gorgers that's worth a read. Incidentally, Goliad Farms tour is a featured video on my website. He uses plants for filtration and only does top off's, not water changes...(but you have to see the plants!!!)

With respect, comparing pet fish to their natural habitat is more correct than doing so to comparing humans. Please do not equate your mammalian requirements to that of your fish.

What you think a fish "deserves" is not necessarily what it really requires.
And while comparisons to fish we know a lot about such as Atlantic Salmon, Sea Bass, Carp or Tilapia are not ideal they are better comparisons than how you or your dog might feel.

The natural diet of wild fish varies markedly between species and as with other vertebrate groups, it is important to ensure that captive fish are given a nutritionally appropriate diet, although in most species we do not know exactly what this should be.

Within most cases periods of food deprivation, will not cause welfare issues and can also prevent increased effects of other husbandry activities (Transport, handling ect).

Remember that it's also not quite right to compare mammal biology to fish. Fish take their temperature from the water, they don't use food to keep warm the way mammals do.

True, cold-blooded animals require less food than warm-blooded but they still need food.

I think a bigger issue is herbivore vs carnivores. An Oscar can gulp down a big goldfish and is good on eating for a few days. There are crocodiles in African which may only get one or two big meal per year, a nice big wildebeest during their annual migration.

Herbivore tend to eat constantly, like the deer which destroyed the 1,000 hosta we had planted in our shaded yard (they came in when my dog passed away). From what I read about Tiger Barbs, they basically snack on food all day. Their small stomachs cannot hold large amounts of food like oscars.

So for me with my upcoming Tiger Barb tank, using a automatic feeder will help create the best possible environment.

Note: the last time I had a Tiger Barb tank, they told me they want air bubbling ship wreck, mermaid and clam in the tank to keep them happy :)

In 2012 I travelled abroad and left my group of 6 wild discus with no food. More than 3 weeks after my departure, my daughter sent the picture below. You can see how algae had taken over a tank with no maintenance. But instead of having declining fish, a pair spawned and had fry attached to the breeding cone! Unfortunately I was not there to save they fry, but came back to find a group of healthy and happy fish.

Attachments

• foto.JPG
    foto.JPG
    349.9 KB · Views: 111
In the Amazon, there is little food available in the dry season, when water levels decline significantly, and plenty of food in the rainy season.

The natural environment can be a cruel place for many animals. Indeed, you are correct about the Amazon during the dry season as many animals are just trying to survive until the rainy season arrive.

But given a choice, your discus may prefer a rainy season environment all year long. And don't forget about the air bubbling mermaids! :)

ok it gets a little intense here, why dont we all agree to disagree? im sure OP already have his decision whatever his choice is

Most reactions

Back