Augh! I Think I Bought A Male Pk...

constantine03

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Gosh darnit! I just went to get a couple females since mine didn't come like they were supposed to...and I think I ended up with a male!! Argh! Tell me I'm right...and he's going straight back. I don't have any of my other tanks set up to house another male.

Attachments

• fish_290.jpg
    fish_290.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 32
  • fish_293.jpg
    fish_293.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 25
  • fish_303.jpg
    fish_303.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 40
I know this is a premature BUMP...but she/he's sitting in a cup right now b/c I don't know what to do with him! Please, more opinions?

is it nipping at the other fish?

i suppose that doesn't help much, females are aggressive too, but is it flaring? i don't think females flair as much as males.

is it nipping at the other fish?

i suppose that doesn't help much, females are aggressive too, but is it flaring? i don't think females flair as much as males.

Definitely not true. My females flare all the time.

It's hard to tell if what ya got is male or female though. If you're not sure though and think it might be male, then take it back anyway and make sure to get a female this time! :p heh

It looks like a male to me, and an awesome one at that. You sure you can't run down to the dollar store and grab a big 1 gallon container for him? LOL :)

It's so hard to tell what they are sometimes...especially when they're in a little blue tinted cup!

I have an extra empty 10g, 20g, 5g, and 55g...but none are set up. I suppose the 5 g will be soon though since I'm moving the two aggressive females to another empty 10g. Still though...the 5g is my breeding tank! Argh!!

I say boy. I had a little plakat guy that I bought in a "female" cup from Walmart.

Don't stress it so much. You got another great looking male, you just weren't expecting it is all, lol. Like I said, if yo don't want o use your 5 gal. buy a 1 gal. (or bigger if you can find it) clear plastic container from the dollar store. I bought 5 the other day for a $1 each and they hold just under a gal. each (.962). I just put some holes in the lid with a hot skewer, put in some marbles and glass stones for substrate, and they were ready to go! They must love it in there because they all have a ring of bubbles around the edge, lol.

This is what it looks like, just that mine is a little more rounded at the top.

Plasticcontainer.jpg

Don't stress it so much. You got another great looking male, you just weren't expecting it is all, lol. Like I said, if yo don't want o use your 5 gal. buy a 1 gal. (or bigger if you can find it) clear plastic container from the dollar store. I bought 5 the other day for a $1 each and they hold just under a gal. each (.962). I just put some holes in the lid with a hot skewer, put in some marbles and glass stones for substrate, and they were ready to go! They must love it in there because they all have a ring of bubbles around the edge, lol.

This is what it looks like, just that mine is a little more rounded at the top.

Plasticcontainer.jpg

Interesting. Which dollar store did you find the jar at?

A great dollar store near me called "Dollar Power." I was in Petsmart one day and I looked through all there bettas (about 100, lol) and I found Carmine, Mason and Ryujin. I couldn't decide which one I wanted because they were all so great, and I didn't want to leave them there to rot, like so many other bettas do, but I only had one tank. :sad: So I drove up to the other side of the outdoor mall and checked the dollar store. They have so much stuff in there I figured "why not." Well I found these great containers, so I could get all 3! They even had bags of glass beads and river rocks for $1! The jars really are great, they're 19 inches around and the water line is about 8 inches high, so the thing hold .995 gallons. All I have to do is a 50% water change twice a week and they stay nice and happy. :nod: I'm sure you could find something like this at a store near you, maybe not a dollar store necessarily, but somewhere. Also though, I remember a post Jaded made on another forum about a great little set she found at Walmart for "goldfish." It's a 1 gal. bowl with gravel and a plant for $7 or $8, so you might want to try that too. I hope you decide to keep him, IMO there's no sense in returning such a great little guy to an uncertain fate.

I'll probably end up dividing the 10g three ways and putting him in there...for now. Those jars would be a great find though for separating males from a spawning.

I am not sure. I have a girl who I thought was a boy. She is feisty blows bubbles but is no good at it. Has no white dot. Flares but her frill doesnt extend all the way round. So I wouldnt like to say with yours. Put him/her in anything to live. This is mine thinking of flaring
DSCF1780.jpg
mine also has a big tummy most of the time but has never had bars!
looking at your photo I would say ct girl if you look at her fins and she has a bit of a tummy on her.....bless confused!

Most reactions

Back