Attention Rock Experts!

clen666

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, currently setting up my tank for tangs and bought a few pieces on stone.

Im not sure what type of stone this is (I'll try and upload a pic soon) but I have two different types - one is an orangey colour and the other is white (the white stone is literally solid as a rock! couldnt break it up with hammer n chisel).

Now having read that some stone can raise pH and increase hardness of the water I decided to put a few small pieces in a bucket of water just to see if they would have any effect.

So after 24 hours I tested the water (API liquid test) to find that the pH had shot up and was off the scale, or at least at the very top of the chart (8.6).

I know that tangs need a high pH but do these stones sound suitable or would they raise the pH too much? I know that the bucket is a very small volume of water so parameters can change pretty quickly, but obviously I want to add a fair bit more rockwork to the tank (135L).

Also, if the stone is an orange colour does that mean it contains iron? If so would they be unsuitable?

Thanx, G

well, tangs like a high ph but not that high!

The white rock is probably the one making it shoot up. as long as you carry out weekly water changes i'd say that would be fine. ideally they like a pH of between 8.2 and 8.6.

as for the orange rock if it does contain iron (not sure how to tell. have a look on some chemistry site i would.) i personally wouldn't use it but I dont know if iron actually does harm the water or the cichlids. I'm probably just fussy.

You will need to add lots of rocks- the vast majority of tangs are rock cichlids and need their own little cave or something. I use ocean rock n my tank as it has lots of holes and raises the pH.

Hope this helps!

-lordofthesea

yeah I have an idea of how I want the tank to look, and it involves quite a bit of rockscape! I have looked at ocean rock but wanted a bit of colour to the stone in there, and the white and orange stone provides a nice contrast. But obviously the welfare of the fish comes 1st.

I suppose I could set the tank up and get it running and see what happens before adding the fish, just I dont really want to do that and then find its no good!

Thanks for your reply though, does anyone else have any ideas?

Cheers, G

The search isnt working! which is annoying ????

Do you have any suggestions about the pH shooting up so much?

I have put the rocks in seperate buckets to see if it is one rock in particular that is raising the pH so much.

Here is an image of the rocks, not the best I know, but if anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it,

[/img]

Cheers, G

Well it is the white stone that is raising the pH so much.

Any rock experts out there?! :unsure:

I replied to the PM but I'm here so.

both look to have the right texture to be onyx and therefore safe to use.

having seen the photo both look safe to use but they may be calcite. not sure how to tell but make 100% sure before putting them in the tank

calcite = calcium carbonate
onyx = cryptocrystalline form of quartz
quartz = silica

all of which are safe in a cichlid set up

Most reactions

Back