Assassin Snails

Took me a while to get the hang of feeding them only what they need. I am still trying to instruct my husband on this art though, as last time he fed my livebearers, it looked like it snowed fish flakes, and I had to do a 90% water change and extreme gravel vac (which sucks because its a hexagon tank that is really tall) and then yesterday I spent about 20 minutes in the cichlid tanks with a net because my husband didn't realize that they only need 2-3 pellets a piece, and he gave them about 20 apiece lol.

Just put an entire turkey on his plate for dinner some night. When he asked what you are doing, smile and say, "Taking care of you like you take care of my fish." :hey:

Took me a while to get the hang of feeding them only what they need. I am still trying to instruct my husband on this art though, as last time he fed my livebearers, it looked like it snowed fish flakes, and I had to do a 90% water change and extreme gravel vac (which sucks because its a hexagon tank that is really tall) and then yesterday I spent about 20 minutes in the cichlid tanks with a net because my husband didn't realize that they only need 2-3 pellets a piece, and he gave them about 20 apiece lol.

Just put an entire turkey on his plate for dinner some night. When he asked what you are doing, smile and say, "Taking care of you like you take care of my fish." :hey:
:rofl: I told him last night, "Honey, I love you, I really do. But do not....let me repeat that...DO NOT feed my fish anymore lol"

Good question on what to feed them if there are no snails. I'm not sure what else they would eat apart from leftover food. It might be that they also munch on micro-organisms living in the tank but that's just a wild guess.

Assassin snails eat other snails alive {which is the main point of them}, they will also eat any left over food, I have also seen them feed on algea wafers before my pleco can get a look in, any dead fish or shrimp will be consumed as well.

The omly thing they dont seem to eat is live plants.

Tom

Well, its good to know they won't starve if they eat through my entire pest snail population lol. I might have to do some pricing online, as I can not find a seingle store in St. Louis that carries them. Until, then I will have to keep on feeding my fish every 2-3 days to keep them from overwhelming my tank :(

if you like the 'striped' look of assassins, then take a look at nerite snails as well. You'll need quite hard water though.

The horned nerite is a partiularly interesting looking snail.

When I feed my cories with a wafer, the assassins come speeding across too, it's really hilarious watching the cories shove the assassins out of the way!!

When I feed my cories with a wafer, the assassins come speeding across too, it's really hilarious watching the cories shove the assassins out of the way!!
I bet that is really entertaining lol

And yes, Zoddy, I actually have extremely hard water. My pH is about 8.8 right out of the faucet. But then again my water is a pain in the but all around, as it has ammonia in it too.

Nerites wouldn't help with her pond snail problem, though. I'd sell you some Dieses, but I don't have the proper heat packs. It's 21º here this morning.

Most reactions

Back