Assassin snail question

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Chickenboi

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 20 gallon planted tank with some rams horn snails. The rams horn snails are taking over and I am considering Assassin snails. I was wondering if the Assassin snails will kill all of the snails or would the rams horn snail population just get lower. Thanks in advance!

If you have a pretty substantial population of ramhorns just one or two assassins would have to eat a lot and often to keep up with the breeding of ramhorns. At least that was the case in my tank. Had to get a handful more to wipe the population out. Took a couple weeks, then I just split them up between two other tanks that also have ramhorns breeding up a storm.

If the Rams are taking over you could try feeding a little bit less.

If there are a lot now... You can count on there being a lot more later.

You can ask your local fish store if they want some for their Puffers.

If you're diligent and you see the egg clutches--I think that's what they're called--you can just remove them.

And there's nothing wrong with getting just one assassin snail if you want to cut down on the Rams.

Last edited:
I seriously need to hire a few assassins. I foolishly purchased a batch on eBay without research & it’s been a hassle everyday removing them from 2 small tanks.

I have been keeping 4 of the assesines in a 60L shrimp tank with a monster amount of melanoides snails, after more than 2 months they don't have changed the big amount of melanoides, perhaps tween 500 or 1000 individuals, at least, but eliminated planorbis.

Then, no need for assassin snails, just don't overfeed, and manually remove the snails you don't want

Most reactions

Back