Asian Upside-Down Catfish

GreenEyedTerror

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I recently bought three asian upside down catfish from my lfs, the woman who sold them to me told me that the were a type of synodontis, and seemed to know what she was talking about, but when i went home and did some research i learned that they are in fact closely related to but not synodontis, anyone have any information or experience?

Just did a quick bit of research and this is what i found.

Scientific Name: Mystus Leucophasis
Common name: Asian Upside Down Catfish
Size: 10 to 12” Standard Length, plus a couple more for the tail
pH: 6 to 8
Temperature: 74 to 80F (23 to 27C)
Habitat: The Sittang River in Myanmar

The name upside-down catfish is most commonly used by aquarists to refer to the mochokid catfish Synodontis nigriventris alternately known to ichthyologists as the blotched upsidedown catfish, However, a number of other fishes may also be known by this name:

* Brachysynodontis batensoda - Giant upside-down catfish.
* Mystus leucophasis - Asian upside-down catfish.
# Synodontis angelicus - spotted upside-down catfish.
# Synodontis aterrima - Sometimes sold as Synodontis nigriventris in the aquarium trade but not identified as a separate species by retailers.

# Synodontis contracta - Big-nosed upside-down catfish, sometimes sold as Synodontis nigriventris to aquarists, a species with which it is easily confused.

# Synodontis nigrita - False upside-down catfish, very commonly sold as Synodontis nigriventris in the aquarium trade and only recognised as a different species once the fish matures (adults are more than twice the size of adult Synodontis nigriventris).

mine appear to be Mystus leucophasis, from the descriptions that i have read, right now they are about 3 or 4 inches each, but they seem to have staked out their own territories in the tank each in their own cave, are they normally territorial at this size? they also attacked each other during the first few days that i had them, i might need to separate them soon

mystus leucophasis are a truely inverted catfish, as in nigriventris. it will swim, sleep, hunt and eat all upside down, i had one until i recently sold it to always4lora off this forum, it was a male at about 7" where it seemed to have stopped growing at. although they are listed as reaching a foot i have never seen one this size. they will nip other fish and claim territories, more so than most other catfish i have kept. they are very nice though, a solid black with silver specs down the side. males will be longer than females but females will be fatter, males also develop a genital papilla, which is obvious and an easy way to sex them, but over all the female will be fat and the male more elongate and slender. mine ate anything, bloodworm brine shrimp and loved catfish pellets.

Asian UD catfish are nasty buggers in general. Think of them like African cichlids, like Tropheus or demasoni, with whiskers. A group of 3 will soon become 1, they really need to be kept either singly or in large groups of 10 or more. Given the size they grow to, a large tank would be needed to keep a large group. Smaller numbers kept together WILL kill each other off until only one remains. They do mix well with mid-size to larger cichlids, being quite tough enough to maintain their own territory, but they're not a good "community" fish in general.

thanks for the help, they are not in a community tank, and i am prepared to separate them when it comes time. for now though they seem to be doing okay and steer clear of each-other, there has not been much fighting except the first day

Most reactions

Back