Arrrgg! Snails!

since netting a few this morning and getting two on the cucumber i have not seen any more, and iv been looking really carefully!

Once your tank is cycled defo get a zebra loach. I've had snails for a long time and sometimes they die off but then they do come back again. You can squash them up against the glass and the fish will eat them but a zebra loach will forage around and eat the eggs as well as suck out the snail from its shell. :sick:

I find loads of empty shells and it helps keep the population down.

Prolly never really get rid of them totally but the zebra loach will do a good job. And he's a fun fish to have anyway. Got Kuhis and a pakistani loach but the zebra seems to be the most effective...

Good luck!

:good:

Well I think zebra loaches prefer to be with their own kind, but I only bought one cos thats all the shop had. But he seems happy enough to hang out with my Pakistani and the Kuhlis so he prolly doesnt feel to much alone...

They are great so if you have no other Loaches, then get yourself a couple. Mine was a bit expensive (6 quid - well thats expensive to me anyway!).

Mine isnt noctunal at all, and is always foraging about all day long. Should have got him ages ago and is certainly more than just a snail eater. They grow to around 3 inches so not too big.

I'd certainly recommend a couple.

i live in north wales, trust me there are snails in the water here. you cant drink it or you'll probably end up in hospital, as theres a bug called cryprosparidium in it. has even been in the news

when was this, we have just come back from caernarfon today. not that we drink the water from there as it has a funny taste to it :sick: lol

not bad jimmy, i paid £6.95 for mines. worth it though.

The zebra loach really wont mind being on his own and as i mentioned, more nocturnal so i opted for only the one and got a leopard loach (some may recognise it as Neomacheilus) which is a far more active day time loach - he should get to 5 or 6" though so maybe just a ballsy bugger.

however if you have no bottom feeders at all, get two or three of these guys if you dont want anything else and your tank can take it.

but definately, the zebra loach is a great small loach for snail combat.

Most reactions

Back