Arobic And Anarobic

BigIan

Big and BAD!
Reaction score
could you create anarea for anarobic bacteria, with a high water flow by injecting co2 into a container (similar to an external co2 reactor for planted tanks) or would the oxygen contained in the co2 be useable by them?

i think that the oxygen in the CO2 wouldn't be directly useable but some of it would probably decay due to other biological processes and release usable oxygen.

why do you want to cultivate anaerobic bacteria anyways?

Its a way of geting rid of nitrate.its then released as nitrogen gas.

i was wondering if you could come up with some kind of chamber that you either feed with a powerhead or directly from your filter outlet, inject it heavily with co2 to cultivate anaerobic bacteria wich would then de nitryfi the water then have it jetted out via a sprey bar or possibly a wide weir, to re oxygenate the water and so solve any ph crashes, ect and also rid a tank oif the need for water changes....

Why not setup a sump and just fill it with sand? I doubt the chamber you'd use would be big enough to make that much of a difference? If you really wanted to, put in a main 4" or so layer of sand (or other substrate) in the main tank, then fill a sump with a substrate and maybe even setup a pendulum.

They already make de nitrifying canisters which work by having a really low flowrate through a carbon cored media called Deni-balls which promote the ideal conditions for anerobic bacteria. They are very difficult to set up and ideally need to be run in line with a tank computer which monitors the O2 levels via a redox probe and increases/decreases the flow rate accordingly.

Its much easier and cheaper to just do water changes :lol:

They already make de nitrifying canisters which work by having a really low flowrate through a carbon cored media called Deni-balls which promote the ideal conditions for anerobic bacteria. They are very difficult to set up and ideally need to be run in line with a tank computer which monitors the O2 levels via a redox probe and increases/decreases the flow rate accordingly.

Its much easier and cheaper to just do water changes :lol:

Water changes do more then just take out nitrate, it adds fresh minerals and other stuff back into the water that is beneficial. Plus water changes just seem to make the water clearer and helps to prevent disease. So even if I could easy remove the nitrate, I would still do pretty frequent water changes.

I've also heard of using a long, very small diameter tube. As the water runs through the tube, aerobic bacteria develop at the front end and deplete O2 levels. The anarobic bacteria develop at the lower end.

Theory is sound, but I very much doubt if its efficient and the small tube would most likely clog often.

Just an idea I heard.

Matt

Most reactions

Back