Argos Play Sand

richard99th

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the forum so bear with me here. I have a question about the argos pllay sand that people use in thier tanks, I currently plan to revamp my 15 gallon pygmy puffer tank and change the substrate to sand, but I am unsure on how to clean it and how to do water changes with sand as Ive only been in the hobby about 12 months now.

thanks in advance for the help.

Hi, I am new to the forum so bear with me here. I have a question about the argos pllay sand that people use in thier tanks, I currently plan to revamp my 15 gallon pygmy puffer tank and change the substrate to sand, but I am unsure on how to clean it and how to do water changes with sand as Ive only been in the hobby about 12 months now.

thanks in advance for the help.
dont bother with it...its too much hassle and it clouds terrible

go with toys r us playsand...it doesnt need washing and its a nicer colour IMO

Dont have a Toys r Us anywhere near me. :( I'll try to get some but I still dont know how to use a syphon on the sand.

I used a bag of the Argos play sand and it looks great IMO.. no clouding what-so-ever. I used a tub sized 18.5 litres and rinsed the sand in three parts in the bath. Not as big a job as I was expecting. I have 4 Corys digging around in it, they love it and it doesnt cloud at all. When it comes to cleaning I don't use the gravel cleaner attachment but just the hose on its own. Best thing about sand is the smooth surface so the dirt that needs cleaning is simply resting on top as there's no nooks for it to get stuck into. Cleaning sand opposed to gravel is a technique you'll learn yourself. Just hover above the sand and make light swirly movements is my best advice. :good:

I have Argos play sand in my tank.
Put it in a bucket and ran the bath tap into it for about half an hour(swirling every now and then)until it ran clear.
No problems.No hassle.And any initial cloudiness was gone in a couple of hours once it settled.Great stuff....and cheap.

I use APS all the time, there is NO clouding whatsoever - provided you wash it.... Please dont dismiss it on spec :grr:

All I do is fill half a bucket with sand, run a hose pipe out the kitchen window and let it run for half an hour... sand sinks straight to the bottom of the tank as would gravel... its a VERY clean sand but you HAVE to remove the dust - I think the word is "lazy" if you find otherwise :sly:

i would always buy the toys r us stuff...call me lazy but i dont see the point in washing something when theres a product that doesnt need washing

Most reactions

Back