ARGH!! My filter just died

Jaded_Pulse

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I know I already have a thread in here about sick fish, & maybe this isn't where this is meant to go, but my filter just completely died - as in just stopped working. I've turned my airstone/bubbler thing (it's a dragon thing with an airline & bubbles air up) up fairly high & left the filter in there for the bacteria on it but will that be enough for 2 days?? No shops are open until Monday (it's Saturday night here). I'm currently treating for ich, & they say the water needs to be well aerated for that too. Everyone seems ok, no electricity surge through the water or anything, it just stopped working. What should I do?? Will the airstone/bubbler thing do till Monday? Thanx!!

what sort of filter have you got?!, have you tried looking at it to see if there is a blockage from all the gunk and that maybe your sponges need cleaning?....
if your sponges need cleaning, make sure you take out some of your existing tank water and do not rise them under the tap otherwise you will lose all your bacteria! :)

Thanx for the quick reply. There's nothing blocking anything, all cleanish (I rinsed in old tank water just a couple of days ago). It was making some weird noises the other day but it fixed itself, couldn't find anything wrong with it then either.......me thinks it's just dead. You reckon my airstone thingy will get me through till Monday?? Thanx a million.

Have you checked if you need a new propeller thingy yet? You know the thing that does the suction. Thats what happed to my filter once.

Hi queengumby :)

SakuraX64 is right. If you have an AquaClear or Whisper, and maybe some other kinds, you have to unscrew the motor part on the bottom and take the impeller out to clean it. Rinse the whole thing well and poke around with a cotton swab to clean out any gook in the well. Then reassemble it. Sometimes that will do the trick. :nod:

Most reactions

Back