Are These Fish Right For Me?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Pockychan13

Reaction score
Hey, I have a 25 gallon tank with 3 yoyo loaches, 3 neon tetra, and 2 male guppies. Recently I bought 3 bumblebee gobies for the tank as well. Unfortunately I didnt research them until I got them home and am now wondering if they will be right for my tank. I normally feed flake food (which i hear they wont eat) and that they like brackish water (which the yoyos cant tolerate). I also hear they like 8.0ish ph water, but i keep my ph around 6.8ish for the yoyos and tetras. Will these guys not make it if i put them in my tank and is there anything i should do to help them?

You should return them to the store and get more neons. Neons should be kept in schools of at least six preferably a dozen in your tank. The loaches would probably be happier in a larger group as well.

Also, is there any way to keep them... Im getting attached to them, but i dont want them to die

Yes, but make sure any tetra you buy, you get a group of at least six. They are all schooling fish, as are barbs, danios, rasboras, rainbows, and loaches. So get three or more neons to add to your existing group. What else are you interested in? Also, is your aquarium cycle?

You would have to set up a separate brackish aquarium for your gobies. They will live in freshwater, but really are at there best in brackish.

i had a ten gallon tank (which was cycled) , but as you can see from the fish i had it was wayyy overstocked, so i switched to a 25 gallon, so i have the old filter (aqueon) running plus i had the biomax from the new aquaclear in the tank for two and a half months or so... So in short, i dont really know if its cycled or not

It should be cycled, test or have it tested for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. If its 0,0,+5 you're good to add more fish. You could setup your ten for the gobies.

i wish i could but i live in rez in university so i have no room. (im not even supposed to have any fish) Oh well, it looks like these little guys will be going back tomorrow. It was fun while it lasted

You should up the numbers of your guppies too. If keeping a male only group there should be a large amount of them to avoid a dominant one developing or one who always gets picked on.

can i put the neons with other tetras?
You should get at least 3 more Neons and then you could add 6 Glowlight Tetras. Those particular fish go very well together.

I don't know anything about Butterfly Goby fish but if they aren't right it's best to return them.

As Cezza said, you should get at least 1 more male Guppy too.

i hadnt checked back on this in awhile but i ended up returning the bees and getting 4 rummy tetras. They schooled up with the neons as soon as i put them in. Also, this may sound weird, but my male guppies are good friends, they play together and swim together all the time. I used to have female guppies, but even then they had no interest in them and stayed together

Most reactions

Back