Are There Any Tricks To Silence A Loud Power Filter?

MrNiceGuy

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a marineland filtering my 55 gallon and while it is significantly quieter than some of the competitors, it still has a pretty annoying hum to it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cut back some of the sound? I took a close look at it today and there are no noticeable clogs slowing it down. It wouldn't be such a problem, but I love silence and the tank is right next to my bed :/

Wrap a jumper/blanket/duvet around it. If possible then you could sound proof the cupboard a little with acustic carpet.

turn it off. :D

lol

I found most of the noise from my filter was caused by it vibrating against the glass

but these will stop the humming noise

16867805.jpg

Either swap (in the future) to a silent model (like the JBL range)

Or,

You can try making an insulating box with polystyrene and that rubber grip mat stuff, both cheap (get hold of a polystyrene fish box or similar)

Hope that helps!

Most of my marinelands are silent unless I have gotten sand in the impellars if its that the only real fix is a new impellar.

no idea if thats an external. but a good clean will prob sort it..treating yourself to a new one is always another ( and my fave) option :)

Most reactions

Back