Are Garden Hoses Aquarium Safe?

Rob5

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I want to start doing my water changes on my 200 litre tank by draining and refilling it using a brand new garden hose. I have read that the chemicals in the hosepipe can leach into the water.

Can anyone confirm this is true or false?

Rob

I use garden hose and have been for months and months with no problems at all

Same here. I use a garden hose to refill, and have been for the best part of a year now. No adverse affects that I can see.

Thanks guys. And it is also safe to put my seachem straight into the tank provided i turn my filters off first?

Seachem.... Water conditioner?

I've used garden hoses since the late 80's, so I'll say they are safe. As for adding prime, yes just add it with the filters off. I add it when I'm done filling the tank, others add half at the beginning the rest when done.

Yeah, if you do water changes that way, you can put dechlorinator directly into your tank after adding the water, but be sure you dose the amount for the whole tank; 1 capful for Prime. And I believe that you should turn off your filters before you add any water from your hose pipe anyways, because the untreated tap water will kill off all of your beneficial bacteria, rather than the Prime, if you see what I mean? Someone else can validate that though.

I've just started using one, used it twice so far, much easier than buckets!!

on a side-note does seachem prime ever go off?

Once opened I imagine it would

If you're dosing straight to the tank, you need to dose enough to treat the whole tank, not just the water you're adding. Natural processes will use some of it up.

Most reactions

Back