are clown loaches compatible with discus

G_Sharky

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I'm looking on getting maybe 3 clown loaches to go with my tank, but I just want to know if they are compatible with Discus and can they thrive in high temp somewhere around 30 C????...thanks....

Loaches, and Botia's in particular are not tolerant of low Oxygen levels. The warmer the water, the less Oxygen it can hold in solution. When I was on the show circuit, we always had a stock of battery operated airpumps with us. Warm day + Botia = turn overs.

I have never kept Discus, but would think that they and Botias are not compatible.

thanks for the advice guys..guess i have to find other tank mates for my Discus.... :thumbs:

a shoal(10 or so would look real nice) of ether cardnil tetras of black line tetras would be really good. :hyper:

Daveo :flex:

I kept a discus tank for a couple of year and actually bred them. I kept Clown Loaches and they did fine. However after watching the tank a couple of times with just a pale blue light to simulate "night time" it became clear that the Loaches were very active at night causing the discus to be very skittish and forcing them to dart around the tank in dark. I had a 125gallon tank, I would think it could be done with something around 210 if it was properly designed.

I keep my 5x Discus and 6 Clown loaches together in my 80g (along with a tire track eel and bgk) they all get along fine....... I had my tank at 30deg for my discus and the loaches didnt do to well..... I gradually reduced this to 27deg and all are doing great....... My discus regularly (one breeding pair in the 5) lay eggs (every couple of weeks) but my eel normally gobbles them... my clowns are always happy doing there own thing, and havent yet disturbed my discus.

Most reactions

Back