Are air pumps a waste of money?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Wyld-Fyre

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Been having a 'heavy' discussion with a friend who doesn't believe the value of having air pumps.

My reasons for were/are:
1) Additional aeration is beneficial for plants, bacteria, and fishes
2) Helps with the cycling process
3) Looks nice

His reason were:
1) The filter vent, directed upwards, already provides enough oxygenation/aeration by causing rippling at the water surface. This helps with the cycling, and is beneficial enough for all the tanks' inhabitants.

Personal choice I guess. What do you think?

I agree with your friend, i have no air pumps whatsovere in any of my tanks, but then again i don't have plants (not yet anyway)..

My reasons for having an air pump connecred to an air stone:

1) It looks nice

2) Many of the fish seem to enjoy playing in the bubbles, our large Royal Panaque likes to sit on the air stone and get a jacuzzi.

3) I have a powerful filter with the outlet pointing up causing a strong current and lots of splashing, but the Oxygen saturation only reaches 90 to 95%.
With the addition of the airstone, the tank reaches 100% oxygen saturation.

4) It looks nice (worth mentioning twice)

Remember that plants use oxygen at night just like everything else. In a heavily planted tank, saturation can get dangerously low at night. an air stone helps to prevent this.

SirMinion said:
With the addition of the airstone, the tank reaches 100% oxygen saturation.
So... oxygen saturation. Do lfs sell test kits for this, or where do you get them?

yesh I want to know that also does the air pump make lots of noise????

I have both 10 gallon tanks in my bedroom

Thanks
Erin

I like the noise lol i have a fan on at night... its the only way i can fall asleep...
Its my Husband lol that doesn't like the noise... so he won't let me get one....

He'd let me get one if I really wanted it but right now I'm dealing with everything else my fish need like meds to get over being sick....

I really like mine because of the length of my tank. It is about 4 feet long and with a filter on one end, I totally needed something one the other end. If I didn't the one end is stagnent and no water movement. I really enjoy mine and it is really good for the hillstream loach. That is where he hangs out unless is is the evening when feeding time comes around. :D

Most air pumps are noisy. You'll have to do the research I'm afraid.

Its a good thing you can sleep through noise. You must have a very loud alarm clock?! :lol:

i don't use any airpumps in my tanks, although i do have 2 battery powered ones in case of a power outage :)

kribsinvcrib said:
Most air pumps are noisy. You'll have to do the research I'm afraid. Its a good thing you can sleep through noise. You must have a very loud alarm clock?! :lol:

lol my alarm clock is loud... but I still don't hear it :rofl: ......my best alarm clock is my Baby Niece when I have her........ up every morning at 9:00am

nellfirst7.jpg

Thats My Baby Doll !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heresmike said:
So... oxygen saturation. Do lfs sell test kits for this, or where do you get them?
Yep, the one I use is "Tetratest O2", it cost about a tenner and does 30 tests.

i personally think air pumps are a good investment for aquariums - can't ever have too much aeration ;)

My fish love to play in the fine bubbles made by my air curtain. And I love to watch them :)

Are air pumps necessary? No.
They look great though :D

Most reactions

Back