Are 3D Backgrounds For Terrariums Safe For Fish Tanks?

fishnovice

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I saw some great polystyrene backgounds meant for reptile terariums for sale on Ebay =really cheap, probably a third of the price for aquarium ones and large sizes too 45x6ocm. Seller isn't sure if they are OK for fish tanks. What do you think? Anyone tried them?
Also considered making my own concrete covered polystyrene backgrounds but grey concrete colour is not very attractive! Are there any cheap aquarium safe waterproof paints in green. brown etc I can use?

just seen them mate, look great and the price is fantastic.

Non toxic polysterene, i'd guess if normal polystyrene is fine it should be ok, but i'm not to sure.

Just make sure you find something suitable to stick it to the back with, nothing that may dissolve polystyrene :) as obviously it will float otherwise.

It would be worth giving them a few coats of some sort of clear, safe varnish. That way you won't need to worry at all.

It would be worth giving them a few coats of some sort of clear, safe varnish. That way you won't need to worry at all.
What sort of varnish is safe for fish? Never see any specially for sale in pet shops or even Ebay.Do you knpw of any brand names/types? I'm in UK

Most reactions

Back