Archer fish

samthefishman

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Anyone got any info would be great, i am planning on getting one since my mate said they are a joy and funny to put flying object near

Taken from a previous post of mine;

Usually offered for sale is Toxotes jaculatrix a widespread species found from the Gulf of Aden, India, Asia and even in northen Australlia. It is yet another fish that will tolerate fresh, brackish and marine conditions, only juvenile specimens of Toxotes jaculatrix should be kept in FW. The one thing they won't toelrate is cold prefering water temperatures of 25-28C.

Archers are ideally suited to a paludarium (an aquarium with that has both underwater life and above water plants). The tank should be large enough to hold four to six fishes (they can reach 20cm/8in or so) and can be planted with species like Java Fern and decorated with wood, which can extend above the waters surface. Out of water, above and to the back of the tank grow some marginal/terrestrail plants which overhang the water, because on this foliage the insects will land so the fish can attempt to shoot them down.

In Aus I have no idea, I doubt they would even have them as a legal species. You could ask Doggfather he knows just about all the species of the short list of legal species you have :lol: I think he has a list of them somewhere to.

Im sure they would be legal in Aus, we have them here in New Zealand and they go for a about $35 each

I keep a couple of them in my brackish tank and they do great...... they seem to grow quite quickly..... definitely an entertaining fish.... I feed mine wingless fruitflies, household flies and when available crickets.....

ryan said:
Taken from a previous post of mine;

Usually offered for sale is Toxotes jaculatrix a widespread species found from the Gulf of Aden, India, Asia and even in northen Australlia. It is yet another fish that will tolerate fresh, brackish and marine conditions, only juvenile specimens of Toxotes jaculatrix should be kept in FW. The one thing they won't toelrate is cold prefering water temperatures of 25-28C.

Archers are ideally suited to a paludarium (an aquarium with that has both underwater life and above water plants). The tank should be large enough to hold four to six fishes (they can reach 20cm/8in or so) and can be planted with species like Java Fern and decorated with wood, which can extend above the waters surface. Out of water, above and to the back of the tank grow some marginal/terrestrail plants which overhang the water, because on this foliage the insects will land so the fish can attempt to shoot them down.
You are either the author or reader of an aquarium giude i purchased.

Interesting :lol: I don't recall it from any book but I suppose it could be from one and it has been recalled from memory, after all we have to get it from somewhere, which guide/book is this?

Well as being i edited that original thread of ryans for some typos and stuff (before ryan was a mod) i think we have a plagurist (sp) stealing articals from TFF and using them as their own, wouldnt be the first time and im sure it wont be the last :angry:

I would recommend getting either 1 or 4 or more..... if you have the room....

Having two, one severly bullies the other... I have read they are better as an individual or a small group.......

Most reactions

Back