Arapaima!

Paradise3

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Hi does anyone know anything about an Arapaima or it's cousin the Arowana?
What's the smallest tank i can keep one in?
They eat other fish i know that.
These questions may sound silly because Arapaima and Arowana are endangered species i think? but i'm thinking incase they become more populated i would love to have an Arapaima or Arowana.

Gorgeous red Arowana.
Arowana.jpg

Gorgeous almost full sized Arapaima. (biggest fish)
arapaimabiggestfishintheamazon.jpg

arapaima can't be kept in any tank, and it is absolutely disgusting how they can even be offered into the aquarium trade, fair enough its good to have 1 or 2 in the odd sea life centre things as them tanks are huge but they should be left where they are as the amozon river is the only suitable place for them in the world! they are said to be endangered but no one really knows how many there are.
arowana aren't endangered as such, maybe very few numbers left in the wild but there are thousands and thousands bred every year in farms, the wild population could probably do with a boost but they are too valuable for farmers to even think about re-releasing these fish into the wild, well the farmers don't even breed the wild type fish so probably not viable anyway.
wild arowanas are very valuable to asian people as a symbol more than an aquarium fish, i don't think they would become extinct in the wild as they are valued too much, maybe if their numbers dropped something would be done to raise them again.
its said arowanas can be kept in a minimum of 6x2x2 but i think thats too small, i have a silver arowana in my 7x2.5x2.5 and planning on getting an asian arowana and id consider my tank a minimum for the fish.

arapaima can't be kept in any tank, and it is absolutely disgusting how they can even be offered into the aquarium trade, fair enough its good to have 1 or 2 in the odd sea life centre things as them tanks are huge but they should be left where they are as the amozon river is the only suitable place for them in the world! they are said to be endangered but no one really knows how many there are.
arowana aren't endangered as such, maybe very few numbers left in the wild but there are thousands and thousands bred every year in farms, the wild population could probably do with a boost but they are too valuable for farmers to even think about re-releasing these fish into the wild, well the farmers don't even breed the wild type fish so probably not viable anyway.
wild arowanas are very valuable to asian people as a symbol more than an aquarium fish, i don't think they would become extinct in the wild as they are valued too much, maybe if their numbers dropped something would be done to raise them again.
its said arowanas can be kept in a minimum of 6x2x2 but i think thats too small, i have a silver arowana in my 7x2.5x2.5 and planning on getting an asian arowana and id consider my tank a minimum for the fish.

Thats fine i kind of understand your disgust about Arapaima being able to be bought but they are a gorgeous fish never the less it doesn't put aside the obvious that they should be left in the wild so that idea is gone.
Arowana are just as gorgeous could u give me litres of your tank so i know roughly how much it would cost for the future because i ain't getting one yet that's for sure.

well my tank is 7 foot long, 30 inch wide and 26 inch high, holding 1072 litres / 284 gallons.
i wouldn't keep arowana in anything less really, people do but i don't think its particularly right.
say for arguments sake an arowana will reach 2 foot (they normally get nearer 2.5 foot) they wouldn't have much room in a 6x2x2. they need really clean water so a good filter, or filters, are a must and keeping ontop of tank maintainence and water changes is very important.
they are nice fish, more so the asian arowanas, i've not had my silver arowana long but already it takes lance fish from my fingers, lots of character.

if your going to point people to information don't use bad information sources.

that site shows pictures of an arowana with drop eye, as if its normal, and say you kan keep a 3 foot fish in a 100 gallon tank, all wrong.

i said i wouldn't keep one in a 2 foot wide tank, and its silver arowanas that can reach 3 foot in captivity, it was asian arowanas i mentioned getting to about 2.5 foot in captivity.

I wasn't going to get one for my 2ft tank.

they are massive fish and very aggressive. heres on i cought in thailand in november

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m89/anz__2006/06112009299.jpg

I'm not even going to say anything about the arapaima! They get too big and don't even belong in the aquairium trade!
As for Arowanas it depends on what kind you are talking about. Silvers, Jardini, Leis, Africans, and Asians. They will all need a 180 gallon and up.

A few days ago, I saw a Fish shop charge £150 for an Arapaima, what a bargain :hey:

Most reactions

Back