Aragonite Sugar Sized Sand?

BigAlsTanks

Reaction score
Does anybody have CaribSea Aragonite Sugar Sized Sand in any of their tanks? I put this into my 75 gallon cichlid tank. My question is this sand is so fine and all does it float all around your tank or does it eventually calm down and stay on the bottom. I've had it up and running for about a month now and when the fish stir it up it just floats up towards the surface. Does this happen to yours?

Most of us in the UK use playsand, the type you get for kids play pits from B&Q (Hardware store over here) or Argos (Similar to Walmart without the groceries). You can use this stuff no problem as long as its washed properly.

How are they stirring the sand up? Could it be anything else? A pic would be handy, but im honestly not sure what we could do to stop this barr taking it all out again. Nightmare!

Most of us in the UK use playsand, the type you get for kids play pits from B&Q (Hardware store over here) or Argos (Similar to Walmart without the groceries). You can use this stuff no problem as long as its washed properly.

How are they stirring the sand up? Could it be anything else? A pic would be handy, but im honestly not sure what we could do to stop this barr taking it all out again. Nightmare!

They're african cichlids so they're digging it around. My only complain is that the sand is too fine and when aggrivated it floats up towards the surface. It's not messing up the filters though because it's so fine. It just makes the tank not looks as clear.

To me. Being very fine sand should nt make it float. Sounds like u have silt or something in the composition of the sand that is floating. Could be because its argonite rather than normal silica

To me. Being very fine sand should nt make it float. Sounds like u have silt or something in the composition of the sand that is floating. Could be because its argonite rather than normal silica
I guess float was a bad term. It's not actually floating on the surface or anything. When it get swooshed around and what not it simply elevates and takes a while to sink back down.

Most reactions

Back