Aquarium Upgrade

rebeledd

Reaction score
Hi all. This weekend I upgraded my 70l tank to 150l. I used new gravel but transferred the old filter, some driftwood and a couple of plants from the old aquarium. I’ve now also started a larger canister filter which I’m running in parallel to allow it to seed.

I’ve so far used most of the water from the old aquarium, and have up until now added around 30l or tap water (treated with Seachem Prime). I’ve only filled the tank to just below the 2/3 mark however, as I’m worried that I might upset the cycle.

Should I wait a bit before adding the rest of the water, or should it be okay to top up to full? Thank you!

Fill the tank up to the mark with new dechlorinated water. It will not harm the cycle. In fact is will help as there will be more water to dilute any possible ammonia or nitrite.

Do you intend using the 70l? If you don't, transfer all the media to the the new canister filter. However, if you do intend to use the 70l, put half the old media into the canister and fill any spaces in the old filter with media from the new filter. That will help to transfer bacteria into the new canister.
But if there are the same amount of fish in the 150l as there were in the 70l, the tank will contain the same number of bacteria as the 70l because there is no extra food to get them to multiply.

Hi, firstly thanks for coming back with this helpful response! I’ll fill it up later in that case. Really good to know. I’ve also ordered an ammonia test kit, so should be able to monitor levels over the coming days.

The fish numbers are staying the same for now, as I want to give the new tank the chance to settle. Good point on the filter media. The small filter I’ve transferred over is the style which attaches to the back. I’m not sure if the sponge will fit in the canister. If not, how long would you recommend leaving both running side by side? I’m not in any massive hurry to switch off the small filter (from the old tank).

Thanks again!!

With the same number of fish, the bacteria will have no need to increase their numbers, just replace any that die off. So it will be several weeks before the new filter has any bacteria.

You can use any removable media from the old filter. If the new filter has ceramic noodles or similar, just bury the old media in the middle of those.

With the same number of fish, the bacteria will have no need to increase their numbers, just replace any that die off. So it will be several weeks before the new filter has any bacteria.

You can use any removable media from the old filter. If the new filter has ceramic noodles or similar, just bury the old media in the middle of those.

Thank you! I’ve just checked, and there is unfortunately only one sponge in the filter. Is it worth me putting a sponge at the back of the aquarium to collect bacteria, and then putting that in the filter in a week - or will this make no difference? If not, I can leave both going for a month or so to give the canister a chance to catch up.

Leave them together for at least 6 weeks, preferably 8 weeks.

With the same amount of food going into the tank, the numbers of bacteria will not increase. By food I mean ammonia excreted by fish. These bacteria live in the biofilm which is tightly bound to surfaces; they do not move around the tank. This is why it takes so long for them to settle into new media. This is why it is quicker to put old media into a new filter where this is possible.
With sponges, you can cut some off a new filter sponge the same size as old filter sponge and put the old sponge in the newly created hole.

Leave them together for at least 6 weeks, preferably 8 weeks.

With the same amount of food going into the tank, the numbers of bacteria will not increase. By food I mean ammonia excreted by fish. These bacteria live in the biofilm which is tightly bound to surfaces; they do not move around the tank. This is why it takes so long for them to settle into new media. This is why it is quicker to put old media into a new filter where this is possible.
With sponges, you can cut some off a new filter sponge the same size as old filter sponge and put the old sponge in the newly created hole.

Okay brilliant, thank you! So cut a bit off the already seeded sponge, and put it in one of the canister sections?

So we know what we are talking about, can you tell us:
what exactly is the media in the old filter
what exactly is the media in the canister filter (they usually have several different types in the one filter)

That will make it easier to suggest the best way.

The diagram in the Ocellaris manual shows media in the following order starting at the top and working down:

wool
black sponge
in basket 1

blue sponge
sintered glass noodles
in basket 2

blue sponge
sintered glass balls
in basket 3.

Is this what you have? The manual is for 2 models but they don't say which media is in which filter. Smaller models usually have less media.

The diagram in the Ocellaris manual shows media in the following order starting at the top and working down:

wool
black sponge
in basket 1

blue sponge
sintered glass noodles
in basket 2

blue sponge
sintered glass balls
in basket 3.

Is this what you have? The manual is for 2 models but they don't say which media is in which filter. Smaller models usually have less media.

That is correct! :)

Right, now we're getting somewhere :)

The PF2 contains a sponge. You have a choice. It can go buried in the sintered glass noodles or the sintered glass balls. Or even half in each one. You'll need to remove a few balls/noodles to get everything to fit, keep them in the cupboard for later.
Leave the old sponge in there for a couple of months, then if you've split it, remove one part and replace it with the media in the cupboard for that compartment. A month later, remove the other part and put the other bit of media you removed back. If you don't split it, just swap all the new media back in after a couple of months.
If you do this, you don't need to keep the PF2 running. If you want to use it again in the smaller tank, once you remove it from the canister you can put the sponge back in the PF2, it'll still be cycled.

Incidentally, the filter wool pad won't wash many times, it'll go all holey and need replacing. Proper Aqua One pads are expensive. You can buy a length of filter wool from a roll, and cut it to the same shape as the pad. Much cheaper.

Huge help, thanks so much! Okay, so I’ll remove the sponge and retire the old filter in that case. I like the idea of splitting it across two segments. I guess that would then help bacteria spread to the different sections more quickly? Would you refrain from cleaning the filter compartments for a few months to help bacteria colonise?

I guess the fear is switching off the old filter, but I guess the important part is the sponge anyway, so there is no real worry!

Nice tip re. the filter sponge! Will take a look online to see if I can find some of the roll you’re referring to! Thanks!

I have an Ocellaris 850. Its a nice little filter. Just cut up your existing sponge and put it across the baskets. Shouldn't even need to remove any of the media. FWIW my wool pad is long gone. I used to put wool in as @essjay suggests, but no longer bother.

Most reactions

Back