Aquarium silicone - is it safe after one week?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Artur

Reaction score
Hi! I've got a question.

Exactly one week ago I put together few rocks and wood pieces, using aquarium silicone (JABA is the maker, something like that, just black: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QTWYF9A/?tag= ).

It says it cures 2mm per 24hrs. So if you glue two pieces of "something" together it cures 3-4mm per 24hrs (because it cures from both sides exposed to the outside world).

Never mind though, I'm not in a hurry and ain't asking if it's safe to put it in after less than 24h.
No.
It's been curing for exactly a week and I'm concerned because I still can smell the typical smell of vinegar when I put my nose close enough.

I did wash it (unfortunately I am not able to put it underwater in some kind of bucket etc. - it's simply too big).
Can I put it in STOCKED fish tank?
It's 100% cured otherwise, it's rock solid etc. - just the smell (not very strong, but you can smell it)

I always trust my nose with things like that if it smells wrong I’d leave it a little longer , probably would be safe but I don’t argue with my nose lol

unless you made huge blobs of silicon, it should be cured after a week.

Ok, I'm not in a hurry so I think I'll wait two or so more days after it doesn't smell at all. I like to sleep well and not worry constantly :)

Thank you!

Most reactions

Back